Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Loxiafan

Grayling on Ericht, Isla and Dean
« on: 28/09/2012 at 21:49 »
I am thinking about doing some Grayling fishing in nearby Tayside this winter. Does anyone have any experience or info on the above waters, beats, permits, tactics (fly only for me). You can PM if preferable. I am 100% live release. I have done some research but there doesn't seem to be any serious Grayling fishing taking place on these waters ?? Either that, they're keeping Mum about it.....or it is pants !

Anyone else up for it ?

Cheers,

Lindsay

Jim Eddie

Re: Grayling on Ericht, Isla and Dean
« Reply #1 on: 29/09/2012 at 12:21 »
Lindsay

There are little or no Grayling in the Ericht. You can get permits/season tickest for the Dean at the spar shop in Meigle , it can be very overgrown and tough going, best place is the confluence with the Isla.

:z18

Jim

Noel Kelly

« Reply #2 on: 29/09/2012 at 20:43 »
Lindsay
Never fished for them but every year I say that I will so maybe this is the year! A quick google threw up this thread below. Some good info there I would say and mention of another thread that's prob got even more. I know one of the posters on that thread, Jim Doyle. Top bloke, knows his fishing.
http://www.flyforums.co.uk/trout-grayling-fishing/28624-grayling-fishing-tayside.html

Loxiafan

« Reply #3 on: 29/09/2012 at 23:12 »
Thanks Jim/Noel,

Looks like Tay might alos be worth a shottie too. Best go and tie a stash of beadheads and Czech Nymphs then !

Cheers,

Lindsay

Jim Eddie

« Reply #4 on: 30/09/2012 at 08:45 »
Lindsay

Dupplin Estate has some nice water on the Earn just south of Perth. If I recall its about £5 per day or £30 per season for the Grayling fishing.

http://www.fishingnet.com/fishing_maps/dupplin.htm

:z18

Jim

Steven Kidd

« Reply #5 on: 30/09/2012 at 20:10 »
I am up for this, already got a rod specifically for this and i have been tying up some czech nymphs etc.

Never done it before but i had investigated beats online close to Blairgowrie.

Forum trip maybe?

Cheers,

Skidd

Iain Cameron

« Reply #6 on: 01/10/2012 at 08:09 »
Forum trip maybe?

I'm game for some grayling this winter. Used to fish the Earn, so I'll do some research and see what I can find
iain

Allan Liddle

« Reply #7 on: 01/10/2012 at 11:25 »
Tayside Grayling fishing can be brilliant, with Tummel, Tay, Erict, Dean, Isla ans earn all offering the chance of sport.  some other waters (Almond, Braan below the falls and Upper Garry) have them as well (Garry was stocked a few years ago apparently, but fish are, i'm told, few and far between.  Pity as it's the closest one to me)

Trouble with all the above, especially the 'big two', is the weather.  Well especially for fly anglers, that is, as these waters can get a wee bit 'big' in prime Grayling time.  Tummel does have the advantage of the water being controlled somewhat by the dam, and can be a good 'fall back' if things turn dirty on the others, but i've always struggled to hit grayling on here, well with any regularity that is.

Not sure about the smaller streams as i've yet to add them to the fised list (apart from the Earn that is), but i know the Earn is most popular, probably because it's the most reliable?

I know it's daft to drive past all these, but if i do hit out for the Grayling i still tend to head back to my folks and take in the Teviot and Clyde.  Every year (usually on the drive home) it's the same old, why do i not fish these waters, as i speed back up the A9.  Don't know, except that as they can be 'unpredictable' certainly weather wise, often it's more a case of being able to pick the moment right, rather than wait until the weekend and see what happens for the best chance of sport, and you run a good risk of driving all that way simply to get 'blown out' by big dirty water.  In reality though it's probably more to do with the big miles shoved in in the trout season getting the better over the wee break from all that and (more importantly) stocking up on the 'Brownie Point Bank' for next season that wins  :z4  Teviot and Clyde offer free 'digs' at the folks and retail therapy for Mrs L in Edinburgh  :z4 :z4 :z4 :z4 :z4 :z4 :z4 :z4

Anyway, what you want to do is seed the Don / Deveron system (especially the tribs) as the sport this would offer would be phenominal.  You'd all be ok 'cause i'd definately get the blame for this anyway  :z4 :z4 :z4 :z4 :z4 :z4 :z4

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #8 on: 01/10/2012 at 12:58 »
Anyway, what you want to do is seed the Don / Deveron system (especially the tribs) as the sport this would offer would be phenominal.  You'd all be ok 'cause i'd definately get the blame for this anyway  :z4 :z4 :z4 :z4 :z4 :z4 :z4

Nahhh..I have already been blamed for stocking Roach into Loriston..I am sure the finger will be pointed at me...now where did I leave my bucket and aerator?

Allan Liddle

« Reply #9 on: 05/10/2012 at 22:13 »
Nahhh..I have already been blamed for stocking Roach into Loriston..I am sure the finger will be pointed at me...now where did I leave my bucket and aerator?

:z4 :z4 :z4

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com