Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Mike Barrio

Leader to fly line connection
« on: 01/06/2016 at 15:27 »
Have you tried it? ....... I know Sandy does something very similar and it seems to work well.

Euan Innes

Re: Leader to fly line connection
« Reply #1 on: 01/06/2016 at 20:49 »
Mike,
That is how all my trout leaders are attached on floating and inter lines.
C+F nail / needle knot tool, Zap-a-gap and 60 grit sandpaper are in my tackle bag along with Leeda 9' 6lb leaders and Roman Moser 2mm rings.
Haven't broken one yet, super smooth through the rings and subtle on the water - what is not to like?

:z1

Iain Cameron

« Reply #2 on: 02/06/2016 at 08:20 »
i tried it using some sewing needles (ah, ebay always provides). Found it tooooo fiddly getting needle far enough into the fly line, even with the smallest needle.

Compared the method side by side with nail knotting. Settled on the nail knot, which is slightly lumpy nad not quite as neat, but simpler overall.

i,

Mike Barrio

« Reply #3 on: 02/06/2016 at 08:33 »
http://www.graysofkilsyth.com/flyline-backing-knot.htm ......... This is by far the simplest for me, I can even do it in the dark and I don't need my specs :z4

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #4 on: 02/06/2016 at 11:23 »
Two tips I have found makes the process so much easier.

Use a baiting needle, much better than a sewing machine needle as the hole is slotted  and even closer to the point.

Don't use Superglue!......... use "Slipfit" slow cure "superglue".

It is still a cyanoacrylate glue (super glue) but takes 1-5 minutes to set.  This means you can apply more glue to absolutely ensure best coverage, and move the nylon back and forth to work the glue along the join and fine adjust. Set it aside for a few minutes and its done.

The stuff costs around £4 a bottle. http://www.shop4glue.com/25ml-slipfit-cyanoacrylate-cyano-adhesive-slow-cure-pen-slip-fitted-parts-1-to-5-min-set-pen-turning-106-p.asp

Another alternative is EZ bond. They do different viscosity  set rates from 3 seconds up to 90 seconds. They also do a "rubber" based version with a 45 second cure time that remains flexible once cured.

Derek Roxborough

« Reply #5 on: 02/06/2016 at 22:36 »
being an old Luddite I still use a figure"8" knot, I use this so I can change casts fairly quickly from My Cast holders that I have in my cast wallet ,I do use Braided loops but only on clear lines as they don't do decent Figure "8"s, easgach 1

Allan Liddle

« Reply #6 on: 05/06/2016 at 09:25 »
Being the total philistine i simply strip the core and form a loop.  Gasps of horror all round but it works well for me.
Treat with musclin when cleaning line, and if you get really stuck on the water, simply dry and apply gink  :z16

Euan Innes

« Reply #7 on: 05/06/2016 at 13:49 »
Two tips I have found makes the process so much easier.

Use a baiting needle, much better than a sewing machine needle as the hole is slotted  and even closer to the point.

Don't use Superglue!......... use "Slipfit" slow cure "superglue".

It is still a cyanoacrylate glue (super glue) but takes 1-5 minutes to set.  This means you can apply more glue to absolutely ensure best coverage, and move the nylon back and forth to work the glue along the join and fine adjust. Set it aside for a few minutes and its done.

The stuff costs around £4 a bottle. http://www.shop4glue.com/25ml-slipfit-cyanoacrylate-cyano-adhesive-slow-cure-pen-slip-fitted-parts-1-to-5-min-set-pen-turning-106-p.asp

Another alternative is EZ bond. They do different viscosity  set rates from 3 seconds up to 90 seconds. They also do a "rubber" based version with a 45 second cure time that remains flexible once cured.

I normally use Zap-a-gap but it does dry too quickly so I might try this stuff. Being able to move the leader around before it dries is a destinct advantage - it allows you to bring the nylon in slightly too far and then push it back up into the line so the hole is covered properly.

:z1

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com