Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

David Davies

west coast fishing
« on: 06/08/2012 at 17:55 »
hi guys
I"m looking for a bit of help and advice for anybody on the forum who has been fishing in the glencoe and aviemore areas , my son is taking me over to the area at the end of the month for a few days fishing , any help on lochs, or fisheries in the area would be most grateful, unfortunately I only took up fly fishing a bit late in my life , but upon visiting my son in the ellon area for the past six years I always make the first thing I do is book a boat at haddo, in those six years I like to think that with the help and advice I have received from mike and friends at haddo I progress every visit,    many thanks in advance for any help anyone can give me   

:z18
dave       

Eddie Sinclair

Re: west coast fishing
« Reply #1 on: 06/08/2012 at 22:31 »
Dave, at my son Stevens stag doo last week we spent some time at Rothiemurchus in Aviemore. We were pleasantly surprised by the average size and the condition of the rainbows that we caught. Mostly on nymphs and CDC F flys. It is not the same as some of the wild fishing in the area but it was a fun way to spend an afternoon.

Regards,

Eddie.

Jim Eddie

Hamish Young

« Reply #3 on: 08/08/2012 at 22:10 »
There's not a fishery as such at Glencoe any more - used to be, long time ago - but there is a fishery at http://www.fortwilliam-chalets.co.uk/index.html based at Torlundy, just north of Fort William off the A82. Great setting.

However, there's simply loads of good fishing in the area and a visit to the Rod and Gun Shop in Fort William should be high on your list. I'd ask about fishing on Loch Lundavra, you used to be able to get a boat from Lundavra Farm. Nice loch in a yet another great setting and the last time I fished there (er...... 19 years ago :shock) there were plenty of lovely wild three to the pound brownies around with the occasional bigger fish to be had.

Or.... strike down through Glencoe and make for Loch Tulla.

H :z3

Iain Goolager

« Reply #4 on: 09/08/2012 at 07:18 »
Dave,

I've fished Lundavra from the bank and it was a memorable day with a good few around the 3/4 lb mark, if I was heading to Fort William it would be the first place on my list.

Iain

David Davies

« Reply #5 on: 09/08/2012 at 21:40 »
thanks for all the info in your reply guys, I"ve got a pretty good idea where to go for our aviemore leg, but for our glencoe leg (stopping at the glencoe hotel ) I need to get somewhere within striking distance of the hotel, once again thanks to all for the info
 :z16
dave

Loxiafan

« Reply #6 on: 10/08/2012 at 00:29 »
thanks for all the info in your reply guys, I"ve got a pretty good idea where to go for our aviemore leg, but for our glencoe leg (stopping at the glencoe hotel ) I need to get somewhere within striking distance of the hotel, once again thanks to all

Hi Dave,

Above Kinnlochleven (near Glencoe) is Loch Eildhe Mor and Loch Eilde Beag ( "big" and "small" respectively !). We were staying at Mamore Lodge (on a Mountain Biking holiday) and the fishing in the lochs was free. Caught lots in the big loch, biggest 10/12 oz but hard fighting and wild. The local angling club had the rights and a boat on the South shore. The lochs are accessed just off Wade's military road that goes to North to Fort William via the flanks of Aonach Mor - fantastic scenery. Be warned - it is high up and exposed !

The mouth of the river Coe used to be full of Sea Trout and Grilse at this time of year but I believe there is now no run of fish ?

Lindsay

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com