Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

mike

Leader length for Haddo ????
« on: 09/06/2011 at 21:56 »
Hello Fellas ,

Could you post some help for a newbie please ..... My mate and I have booked a boat for Saturday at Haddo and neither of us have fished there , neither from a boat for that point. I was just wondering the depth of the loch and what line / leader length you more experienced guys use . I've only been fishing since the turn of this year after ditching the golf clubs and usually go to either Raemoir or Lochter so any info would be greatly appreciated to make for a good days fishing ...

Cheers ,
Mike G .     :z8     :z18

Mike Barrio

Re: Leader length for Haddo ????
« Reply #1 on: 09/06/2011 at 23:09 »
Hi Mike :z16

The fishery averages about 5 ft in depth and for most of the year a floating line is all you need. No need for really long leaders, keep it simple and about the length of your rod, so about 9ft is the norm and some folk possibly go up to 12 ft.

Being very sheltered the water is frequently calm, so casting presentation is far more important than casting distance :wink

If the weather is overcast, you will hopefully get some dry fly sport with Klinks and CDCs, but wee damsels, crunchers, spiders, pheasant tail nymphs, Diawl Bachs etc in size 14 and 12 usually work well just sub surface, as do classic wet flies.

Hope this helps!
Best wishes
Mike

mike

Re: Leader length for Haddo ????
« Reply #2 on: 10/06/2011 at 11:06 »
 :z14  thats brilliant Mr Barrio , thanks for the tips and see you on saturday .  :z16

Cheers ,

Mike G .

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com