Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Sandy Nelson

What to ask for Christmas
« on: 17/10/2012 at 16:28 »
Ok then, i know we re-do this kind of thing every year, but the time is getting nearer and my far smarter and prettier half has been pestering me to give her a few ideas for the day itself.
Apart from all the obvious smutty ones which i presented, i found i was at a bit of a loss to come up with anything :z8

Every idea felt too much like, been there,done that :z10

The only new idea i could find from a few hours raking online was a couple of dvd's "Underwater World Of Trout DVD Vol 1 and 2"
Even then it felt a little bit like desperation :z6

So tell me, what do i want for christmas :z7

All ideas gratefully recieved (by the way i'm not allowed an XK-R :cry)

Cheers

Sandy

Iain Goolager

Re: What to ask for Christmas
« Reply #1 on: 17/10/2012 at 16:53 »
Go Pro HD3?

Matt Henderson

« Reply #2 on: 17/10/2012 at 19:06 »
A juicy steak and a special cuddle? ;)

Ask for a days fishing somewhere? Get on fishpal in the spring and take a day on a beat somewhere nice that you've always wanted to fish? I seem to be all about experiences rather than tangible things at the moment?

Mine is going to be casting lessons!

Ben Dixon

« Reply #3 on: 17/10/2012 at 19:46 »
So tell me, what do i want for christmas

Send her into the shop with a fully charged credit card, I'll take care of it and you'll not have to worry your head about it again.

Cheers

Ben

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #4 on: 17/10/2012 at 19:58 »
I'm not old enough for Orvis clothing yet :z4 :z4

:)z

Sandy

Barry Robertson

« Reply #5 on: 17/10/2012 at 21:04 »
Go Pro HD3?
Will you be getting one Iain?

Euan Innes

« Reply #6 on: 17/10/2012 at 22:19 »
I'm not old enough for Orvis clothing yet 

Yes you are Sandy.
This is not elasticated beige or incontinence waders. The gear is actually really good. The Pro wading jacket is the biz.

What you are not ready for is some of the "different" styling that the Americans find "stylish" with some of the trousers and jackets that would be more at home on Huggy Bear. NO-ONE is ready for that :z7

Send your missus to Ben and he'll sort her out  :wink Helios for Christmas? Now how can I persuade my missus to go with that? Or will I just still go with a Q2 diff for my Alfa GT that I have asked for.... :wink

Anyone feeling generous towards me this consumer season, I might like a 9'6" Access please. And a WF6 SLX....

:z1

Hamish Young

« Reply #7 on: 18/10/2012 at 06:34 »
Prius V8 conversion would be an idea Sandy :z4
Failing that (and not allowed an XKR ??? hmmmphhhh) why not get a nice kit car to build and ask for a small contribution towards the additional tools you will need.

When it comes to fishing gear I suspect (from the classifieds) you already have too much gear you don't need, so I'd try and blag 'marital permission tickets' for additional days out fishing (without fear of domestic warfare) as your best bet allowing you to use all the gear you're not selling  :z4

:z3

Euan Innes

« Reply #8 on: 18/10/2012 at 08:10 »
Prius V8 conversion would be an idea Sandy

Now that I would like to see! Sounds like a job for Top Gear.

:z1

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #9 on: 18/10/2012 at 08:25 »
Prius V8 conversion would be an idea Sandy :z4

Kinda defeats the object  :z4 :z4 :z4 And to be honest if the car was a bit more Lexus inside and i could alter the programming so the electric mode hangs on to 40 instead of 30, then it would be just about perfect :z16

When it comes to fishing gear I suspect (from the classifieds) you already have too much gear you don't need

I had no idea until i started unpacking things :shock Seems for 3 years being away, i was comfort buying Fishing gear :z6, just shows how much i missed home and just how simple i tick.
Rather pleased We came back when we did, otherwise i'd be opening a shop :X1

Sandy

Iain Goolager

« Reply #10 on: 18/10/2012 at 08:36 »
Comfort buying, now there's a stranger.

Bought my new outfit for next year (no Euan not a tweed twin set) so some form of tele or macro lens for me at Christmas.

Iain

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #11 on: 18/10/2012 at 08:47 »
macro lens for me at Christmas.

I did that last year, what type of camera? might be able to point you in a direction if its an SLR??

Sandy

Matt Henderson

« Reply #12 on: 18/10/2012 at 09:41 »
I did that last year, what type of camera? might be able to point you in a direction if its an SLR??

Sandy

Even if Irene's not interested I am.  I've toying with getting an 18-200mm/300mm lense which say they could be used for macro stuff too.  But would be interested in hearing your opinion on the matter.

cheers

matt

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #13 on: 18/10/2012 at 11:53 »
Hi Matt

I spent ages researching all this last year and a lot depends what you want the macro for.
If its for occasional use then any good lens with the camera set to macro will give you good results.
If you are using it a lot, then its worth geting a specific macro lens.
My Dad (who is the photographer in the family) Always says get as big and as good a piece of glass as you can afford. Preferably with a low F stop designation.

I evetually bought a Tamron 60mm fixed f2.0 lens for mine as i use it a lot on a tripod for flies,bugs etc. and i think the Tamron is brilliant :z16 and it works exceptionally well for portraits as well, this is the beauty of a fixed lens, you get much better quality glass for your money. It is very light and it gets more use than i ever expected.

I also have a 18-200 VrII f3.5-5.6 Zoom lens which is not as impressive as i thought it would be. It is a brilliant lens but not as much of an increase in quality from my original 18-135 f3.5-5.6 kit lens as i expected, certainly not worth the money it has tied up in it. The kit lens was actually much better at macro than the new zoom, which is why when i upgraded to the zoom i bought a specific Macro lens.

If i could do it again, i'd still get the Macro lens, but would have to think very carefully about which size of zoom i'd go for, I'd probably keep the kit lens and go for a much cheaper 70-300 type lens for the odd occasion i use it. Or try and stretch for a 24-120 f4 and get a proper quality piece of glass. Hard to justify though :z6

It can also depend what brand of camera you are using, I use Nikon for SLR's i prefer the button layout (probably the only reason i don't have a canon :z6)

Worth spending some time researching first what you need, lots of review sites out there.

Sandy

Hamish Young

« Reply #14 on: 18/10/2012 at 18:46 »
Kinda defeats the object  :z4 :z4 :z4

I think we may have to agree to disagree on this one...... I'm not a Prius fan for 'country' living and look forward to seeing them all scrapped if/when Hydrogen fuel cells are 'cracked' :X1

So get that Lexus GS V8 instead and design a KERS system to fit it..... now that's a hybrid I'd drive :wink

:z3

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com