Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Ploddy

First fish on the fly
« on: 13/06/2013 at 23:49 »
Have not been around the boards ( or rivers ) the last few weeks as "life" became a bit hectic however managed to get out on the Don for a few hours yesterday evening.   Using the Barrio lightweight which Sandy built managed to take 3 wee brownies which were my first fish by use of the fly.

Must say the rod and mallard line was so easy to cast and hopefully when something more substantial is taken I can see a lot of fun being had.

Davie

Hamish Young

Re: First fish on the fly
« Reply #1 on: 14/06/2013 at 08:45 »
Well done Davie  :z16

Allan Liddle

« Reply #2 on: 14/06/2013 at 09:26 »
Well done that's you hooked and no turning back now.  :z16

Set for a lifetime of frustration, disapointment off set by excitement, achievement and simply loads of sheer enjoyment amongst some of the finest scenery, best fish and whatever the weather throws at you.  I was once told by my 'old fishing mentor' (way back in the midsts of time) that you'll never fish the same bit of water twice.  Thinking he'd been at the hip flask too long i ignored this only to discover years later that he was 100% correct.  Yes you might be at the same venue but timing, water height, light, weather, wind etc none of it will ever be truly identical, very similar yes...... In essence he was telling me to enjoy every fishing moment you get, it's truly unique and too valuable to be wasted.

You'll have the bug now and the craving for the 'Fishing Fix' only gets stronger with only one simple cure, get out as often as you can.

However if you lose the 'Bug' then, well there's always a big fat arse, fancy breeks, dodgy jumpers and the chance to chase a wee white ball about a field.  :z4 :z4

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #3 on: 14/06/2013 at 10:49 »
Good stuff Davie :z16

Really pleased you are enjoying the rod, i hope you get it bent properly, soon :z16 as Alan says, small steps on the staircase to obsession :z7

Sandy

Mike Barrio

« Reply #4 on: 14/06/2013 at 10:54 »
Great stuff Davie ....... enjoy! :z16

Best wishes
Mike

Ploddy

« Reply #5 on: 14/06/2013 at 16:15 »
However if you lose the 'Bug' then, well there's always a big fat arse, fancy breeks, dodgy jumpers and the chance to chase a wee white ball about a field.  :z4 :z4

Have already been there, bought the T shirt or would that be fancy breeks but have lost the bug for chasing the wee white ball.

Another great thing from the other night was seeing an osprey fly directly overhead and a mallard with her brood of ducklings paddle by. Some things in nature are just priceless.

Davie

Noel Kelly

« Reply #6 on: 14/06/2013 at 17:03 »
Have already been there, bought the T shirt or would that be fancy breeks but have lost the bug for chasing the wee white ball.

Another great thing from the other night was seeing an osprey fly directly overhead and a mallard with her brood of ducklings paddle by. Some things in nature are just priceless.

Davie

Lol well done Davie, first of many for you I hope. One thing I can promise you though is in a few years you will want to murder that mallard when it swims right over a big rising trout which then goes down for the night....only good duck is on my plate  :z4

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com