Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Keith

Beginner
« on: 29/01/2008 at 20:57 »
Hello, i hope you can help. Its my intention to take up fly fishing this year and was looking for some advice to help get me started.

Where is best to go to learn, what type of gear to buy etc.

Cheers  Keith

Hamish Young

Re: Beginner
« Reply #1 on: 30/01/2008 at 00:31 »
Welcome Keith :wink
One of the first things you will quickly learn is that every angler (well, almost every angler) has different views on what tackle you should buy, where you should go to learn, who you should learn from etc etc.
The saying "time spent in reconnaissance is seldom wasted" is entirely appropriate to fly fishing, you will learn a huge amount from simply watching other anglers fish and asking questions. Although it's tough to do when you're keen to start I'd urge you to try and sit and watch some anglers fishing. To do that you need to go to the right places and, although I'm openly biased, I'd sugegst that if it's local to you Haddo is one of the best places you could start out.
Mike will see you right.
I'd suggest that once you've had some casting lessons a 9ft rod for a #6wt would probably be a good place to start out rod wise, there's plenty of suitable outfits available from shops and fisheries locally as well as online.
You could get 'proper' instruction which is very worthwhile and certainly money well spent. Again if you're local to the NE I'd be willing to give up some fishing time to take you through the basics although I'm not a qualified instructor I'm not entirely inexperienced. I'm sure other forum regulars would be more than willing to do likewise.
When you're starting out no question is too stupid so don't be afraid to ask any questions via the forum. You might get diverse answers but you will get advice :!
I hope that's of some help - but please just ask questions :z16
Hamish

« Reply #2 on: 30/01/2008 at 07:59 »
Hi Keith, just like you i have just taken up the fly and it was Hamish, Sandy ( Spiderman ) and Mike at Haddo who put me right. i started at Haddo 2 weeks ago and when i turned up i even had my reel on the wrong way and it was quickly put right with pliers and a hammer at the fishery by above. i quickly got sorted and put in a boat and within 15 minutes i caught my 1st Haddo trout. I caught 6 that day and now i feel great and ready to take on other fisheries but Haddo is still my Favourite and you won't go wrong with the advise you will receive from all the people here.

thanks again Hamish & Sandy, Mike

seamus

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #3 on: 30/01/2008 at 09:48 »
I dont think anything could be added to what Hamish has said :roll like usual :z7

Mike has a few outfits at Haddo that he will let you borrow, so you could realistically turn up with nothing (as long as he knows you're coming) and he can get you started.
If possible i would try to hold off on getting stuff for the initial trip, i know getting new things is exciting :z4 Tackle tarts are us  :z7 But there are some really good items on the market that are very affordable, I would expect you would get some very good suggestions from the forum, but it depends what you initial budget is. You'll get a better idea of what you will want after you get to try a couple of different styles of rods/lines.

So give mike a bell and i'm sure he can get you started then perhaps you can look for some stuff :z16
Like Hamish i'd be more than willing to pop out and lend a hand, i've a rudimentry understanding of how to get a fly on the water, only drawback for the next 5 weeks i'm sort of out of action :z6

Just have fun

Sandy

Keith

« Reply #4 on: 30/01/2008 at 14:23 »
Thanks very much for all your replys, They have been very helpfull.

Yeah Haddo is good option for me, although i live in town now my family are still in ellon so i am out that way alot. 

I hope to be in touch soon to arrange my first day out and i hope i have as much luck as seamus had on his first day. 

Cheers - Keith

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com