Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Ross

Salmon Rods...
« on: 29/01/2008 at 10:04 »
I'm looking to get another Salmon Rod(13-15ft) but it's been so long that I have no idea what's good and what's bad?

I was looking at the Sharpes - Gordon but unsure (Seems to get a good write up, and all the trout ones cast nice)

Advice required!!!! ??? :z3

Hamish Young

Re: Salmon Rods...
« Reply #1 on: 29/01/2008 at 10:32 »
Ross

It's a tricky thing suggesting a rod without knowing how much you want to spend/what sort of action you like/how you like a rod to perform/how many pieces you want/line rating etc. Each of us likes something different.

I recently looked at (but haven't tried in anger) the Sharpes 13ft Gordon and whilst others might disagree I found the build quality a smidgen underwhelming - for me (note - for me) the front cork is way too short although arguably that's a personal preference thing. The build quality wasn't what I'm used to on Sharpes rods either. On the plus side it's not overly expensive but if I were buying I'd take a long hard look at the Scott rods - Dave has these in Aberdeen Watersports - which really are 1st class and not that much more expensive..... ok, maybe a bit dearer but still better value than many other brands on the market.

I'd urge you to try before you buy and I'm positive that certain shops in the area would be willing to let you do that.

Hamish  :z3

Dave Gordon

« Reply #2 on: 29/01/2008 at 10:44 »
Hi Ross

I have a demo Sharpes Gordon and Plus 3, B&W Norway and Scott available at AFS. I also have the Highland Spirit. I have taken them all out and all but one suits my casting style and all are very different.

For me 2 are clearly ahead of the others but is you want a cast PM me or call me at the shop and i will arrange a go of them all for you.

Dave

duncanm

« Reply #3 on: 29/01/2008 at 12:48 »
I would say have a go and see what suits - I had a day casting rods with Dave and was surprised by the Sharpes +3 (although I found the handle a bit short for me too as hamish says).

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com