Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Hamish Young

The 'States
« on: 15/01/2008 at 19:51 »
So...... looks like this years 'family' holiday will be to the USA :cool: Probably for two or three weeks in late July and early August.
Naturally enough I'm planning on doing some fishing  :wink Which hopefully won't alienate she who must be obeyed too much  :shock

Anyway, I think the plan is we'll be hitting the Pacific coast for a bit before ending up with my pal DJ in darkest Colorado (somewhere :!) for a week of fishing, fast cars and probably a wee drop of drink :z18 But I'm on the scrounge for info from anyone on the forum who has maybe been on the Pacific coast and done some fishing...... I fancy a couple of days and I'd like to go mooching or maybe head out into the big blue for something a smidgen bigger and more exotic  :z15 Within limits my options are open at the moment  :z3

I will be doing some research (naturally) into what's available and what is (and what isn't) good myself but nothing beats 1st hand experience. So if anyone can recommend a charter boat or places to go my eyes and ears are open to all hints and tips  :z16

The only downside to this is the trip I hoped to do to Tierra Del Fuego will now probably be put on the back-burner until I'm 40  :roll You can't have everything I suppose but to make up for that loss I also plan on some fishing tackle "retail therapy" in the 'States  :grin
I might even find a pair of breathable waders that actually fit :z4 :z4 :z4 Who knows :?

So anyway folks - if you've info or advice to share please do  :z18

Jim Eddie

Re: The 'States
« Reply #1 on: 15/01/2008 at 19:59 »
Hamish , you can go off people you know  :roll Bloody January and I'm miserable

Hope you have a great trip you dirty lucky barsteward  :z4 :z4 :z4 :z4 :z4

Did you see the Paul Young episode on mooching ?

http://www.bcadventure.com/adventure/angling/protalk/reid/mooch.phtml

:z18

Jim

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #2 on: 16/01/2008 at 08:32 »
Theres a chance I am off to Houstan for a week or so on business and there are two places I want to visit..a vast inland water that is salty due to a chemical plant on its shores pumping out salt..and its stocked with Redfish., and a lake in down town where you can fly fish for carp in the 20 to 35 pound bracket.

Sorry..no info on the Pacific coast...only can suggest some of the saltwater fly forums.

Jim Eddie

« Reply #3 on: 16/01/2008 at 09:48 »
Rob

If you are in houston Try to get to the Bass Pro shop out at Katy Mills , its just off the main Freeway heading west out of Houston.

There is also agreat Fly fishing shop just across the road from the "Galleria" anyone in Houston will tell you where the Galleria is.

If you have never visited Houston before, bear in mind you can drive for 70 miles and still be in Houston. Not sure about the Carp , you'll need a license to fish for the Redfish though.

Cheers

Jim

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #4 on: 16/01/2008 at 14:40 »
Cheers Jim,
I noticed guided Carp fishing..and yes, it is about an hour from where i am staying :(..but where theres a will etc etc. :)

My partner is in the big H a lot and the Bass Pro shop is a must visit when she is there...mmmm..ovely Rapalas!! I insist!

Cass was catching Redfish last time she was there...14 pounds the biggest...the sod..I wanna gooooo!

Hamish Young

« Reply #5 on: 16/01/2008 at 17:02 »
Hamish , you can go off people you know  :roll Bloody January and I'm miserable

Sorry Jim  :z4
Hope you have a great trip you dirty lucky barsteward  :z4 :z4 :z4 :z4 :z4

I'm hoping for great things  :z3

Did you see the Paul Young episode on mooching ?

http://www.bcadventure.com/adventure/angling/protalk/reid/mooch.phtml

I don't recall that one, will make an effort to find someone who has it. I'm keen to see mooching 1st hand, being a keen 'troller' it'll be interesting to see how techniques differ/are the same to what I grew up with :cool:

Oddly enough I'll be avoiding the carp.... believe they're considered something of a pest over there  :wink :z4

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #6 on: 16/01/2008 at 17:16 »
Grrrr... :mad

:z4 :z4 Even the yanks are seeing that a Carp on the fly is something rather special!!

Jim Eddie

« Reply #7 on: 16/01/2008 at 21:54 »
I think Gierach talking them up in his books has helped  :wink

Jim

Jim Eddie

« Reply #8 on: 27/01/2008 at 15:50 »
Paul Youngs " Mooching" proramme was on again this morning , he was fishing out of Seward Alaska , he had a nice "Silver" using half a Herring as bait.
He also had a 109lb Hallibut on the same show.

Jim 

Hamish Young

« Reply #9 on: 27/01/2008 at 16:55 »
Sadly, Alaska is "out of bounds" this time :z10

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com