Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Jim Eddie

Good Sea Trout Fly
« on: 31/12/2007 at 19:52 »
Not trying to be picky here but I hear lots of people calling the famous Sea Trout fly the Alexandria, The correct name for the fly is the Alexandra, named after Edward the 7th wife.
Its a fly that seems to have gone out of fashion but I still think its a good all round fly.

"Introduced, under its old name, "Lady of the Lake", around 1860, it was later re-named in honour of Princess Alexandra. Some doubt remains over its creator. Some say W.G. Turle of Newton Stacey, Stockbridge. Others, that it was devised by Dr John Brunton, a well-known member of the Gresham Fishing Society and inventor of Brunton's Fancy. So successful a fly was it that it is reputed to have been banned on some waters. Still a favourite with many sea trout men."

Give it a swim next year guys , good for Rainbows and Brownies as well.

:z18

Jim

Hamish Young

Re: Good Sea Trout Fly
« Reply #1 on: 31/12/2007 at 20:06 »
Anything would be better than a Peter Ross  :z7

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #2 on: 01/01/2008 at 11:59 »
Jim

Mine has eyes :wink

great bit of history though:z18

Sandy

goosander

« Reply #3 on: 01/01/2008 at 13:19 »
A grey muddler on the bob and a red and black on the tail does me all season. If getting bored fishing the same flys will stick on a partridge and orrange or gold.

Graham Allan

« Reply #4 on: 02/01/2008 at 13:15 »
I have read of how the alexandra was so good it was banned from some rivers in the past. I think it looks a cracking fly Ive tried it with jc eyes or without tried it for broons .seatroot .bows.Ive never had a touch. :z8for me a 10-16 double boody butcher for seatroot  :z16then It would b an exicutioner then a silver stoat.I ve had some pretty good results with a wee b butcher twitched along just below the surface on still waters for bows and broons.peter ross for me a waste of time also. Graham.

Iain Goolager

« Reply #5 on: 03/01/2008 at 07:27 »
ref- Alexandra,

Yup Jedi, you are totally correct in pointing out that the fly is not an Alexandria.

It falls into the worlds top ten mis-quotes/ misnomers ............at number 3 infact, behind "All that Glitters is not gold" the word is "Glisters" & "Marie Celeste" it is infact "Mary Celeste"

Sea-Trout Flies:- after the typical Teal & Silver (or Teal, Blue & Silver before I'm  corrected), Dunkeld, Medicine, Mallard and Claret, etc. etc. one fly which I had huge success with as a youngster was the "Mallochs Favourite"

Hamish Young

« Reply #6 on: 03/01/2008 at 12:46 »
Dressed "terror style" I've had success with the Alexandra (JC cheeks a must IMHO) but very limited success with it as a conventional single  :z6 In truth I have caught with a Peter Ross but have done better with a seemingly 'forgotten' pattern the Teal and Green  :wink

Haven't used a Mallochs for years, same goes for many traditional patterns.... perhaps I should reinvent one of my boxes of odds and sods into a forgotten patterns box in time for next season - who knows, success may follow  :cool:

salar35

« Reply #7 on: 05/01/2008 at 16:57 »
I once made the polis international flyfishing team in a competition at Loch Leven, when a small Alexandra fished on an intermediate line off the Horseshoe near St Serf's Island took six trout on the trot within half an hour, when the other two guys in my boat caught nowt during the same period. Can't say it's done anything since, though. And a size 12 Malloch's Favourite took my first ever salmon at 14 years of age on the Spey, a feat which I repeated the very next day (both fish taken on the dead drift!!!!!). I've only rarely used it since then..........which all goes to show what slow learners we fishermen are.  Dave

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com