Re: The Sutherland Special
« Reply #15 on: 21/12/2007 at 18:27 »
Oh Yes! :wink

Did you get the PM, Ross? It wasn't a trick question :z16

Sandy

Hayabusa

« Reply #16 on: 16/05/2010 at 22:25 »
The Sutherland Special was made by John Sutherland at his home. He was an Engineer with the Gas Board in Aberdeen and it was not original. He copied it from a wooden plug made by a chap from Forfar. I believe John died some years ago.

Hi sorry to say none of your information is correct,  ???  My name is Graeme Sutherland, The Sutherland special was designed and invented by my uncle, Ronnie Sutherland way back about 65 years ago, (He was a young engineer At a  paper mill Aberdeen and worked there all his life) and he tried  over a long period of time making several different styles of body and fin set up to get the first Minnow that swam rather than spun like the normal ones... he tested them in his bath at home and persevered till he got the right action. He later patented them in the UK and USA and custom made presses and moulds etc for the same. 
He is still alive and kicking although he is in his mid 80s and as far as I know still fishes now and again  although he has not made any new Sutherland specials for a wee while now. It was My Dad Bill, Ronnies younger brother that was also an engineer by trade, who later worked with the gas board. The other comment you made about a guy from Forfar  who made a plug etc, I have never heard that story before! The family hopes somone in the family will take up the manafacturing again, as they were a fantasic idea and design and never reached their full potential especially internationally. :z16

Hamish Young

« Reply #17 on: 16/05/2010 at 22:55 »
Thanks for the info Graeme, always good to know the full story  :z16

Let us know when production starts again  :z17

:z3

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #18 on: 17/05/2010 at 01:48 »
As with 'H', cheers graeme and welcome to our forum :z16

Sandy

« Reply #19 on: 17/05/2010 at 16:36 »
Hi! Gents,

Just to refine the information regarding The Sutherland Special.
My older brother, Ronnie Sutherland, inventor/designer, sole manufacturer and patentee of The SS, was an engineer in Grandholm Mills all his life.

The design was adapted from an earlier version of a sand eel, also invented by my brother Ronnie.
He insists that he is very much alive, was never called John, nor did he live in the Deveron area.

While Ron hasn't produced an SS for some time, I know that he hasn't abandoned the idea of manufacturing them again.

His telephone number is still the same as it is on the information slips supplied with each lure, should you wish to contact him.

Hope this is helpful,
Best wishes and tight lines

Raymond Sutherland

Mike Barrio

« Reply #20 on: 17/05/2010 at 16:44 »
Hi Raymond

That's excellent feedback and news!
Welcome to the forum :z16

Best wishes
Mike

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com