Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Hamish Young

The Sutherland Special
« on: 12/12/2007 at 20:41 »
Had an interesting 'phone call last night from a chap trying to track down the creator of the Sutherland Special (a very clever wee spinning lure in case you didn't know).

Apparently the guy who came up with the lure wrote the angling report for the Don in T&S before Jim Kerr (snr) took on the role (so well before Mike and well well before me :wink). The lure is getting hard to find, it was very popular at one time on the Ythan, and in the research done by the chap I was speaking to no-one seems to know who holds the patent/design/manufacturing rights.......

T&S were unable to help the caller so passed him on to me - I was only able to offer my own advice on how to repair the lures; which I've done myself frequently as they are 'fragile' in certain circumstances/conditions.
However I did undertake to post something on this forum to see if anyone:

a. Knows who the creator of the lure was and if he's still around :?
b. If so - how to get in touch :?
c. A reliable source for Sutherland Specials (I did pass on one or two contacts/suggestions).

I'll pass on any pearls of wisdom, all help appreciated, gleaned via this forum  :z16

Sandy Nelson

Re: The Sutherland Special
« Reply #1 on: 12/12/2007 at 22:28 »
I used to get them from Sloanes in Inverurie as well as Somers in town.

If my memory serves right, they were creadted by a guy somewhere up the Deveron, I could of course be way off :z6.
I do recall the little tub they came in had a wee speil on the yellow paper that was on it.
I've still got a couple about somewhere, doubt if i've got the pots though.

Great little lure though, i wonder if Frank knows anything?

Sandy

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #2 on: 13/12/2007 at 08:34 »
I am sure Sloans have them.

Duncan McRae

« Reply #3 on: 13/12/2007 at 16:56 »
Tried both sloans and sommers during the summer but they say that the Sutherland has been discontinued.This is a great pity as it works very well for seatrout in the Ythan estuary.

Duncan

Hamish Young

« Reply #4 on: 13/12/2007 at 19:07 »
Duncan - I used the SS to great effect in the Ythan estuary when I was a member of the Newburgh AC, but when they got hard to find and awkward to repair I switched to Tasmanian Devils which were even more effective  :z16
Hint - especially the fluroescent yellow and silver one  :wink :wink

Jay Scott

« Reply #5 on: 13/12/2007 at 21:40 »

From what ive heard Somers still do them however as for sloans the last 2 are sittin comfortably in my tackle box  :z7.

Jay

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #6 on: 14/12/2007 at 08:58 »
Jay

the last 2 are sittin comfortably in my tackle box 

Do you still have the little tubs? or the inserts that have the wee spiel on? might throw some light on the original question :z16

Sandy

Malcolm Copland

« Reply #7 on: 14/12/2007 at 10:03 »
The Sutherland Special was made by John Sutherland at his home. He was an Engineer with the Gas Board in Aberdeen and it was not original. He copied it from a wooden plug made by a chap from Forfar. I believe John died some years ago.

Duncan McRae

« Reply #8 on: 14/12/2007 at 13:44 »
Hamish

Thanks for the advice.I wasn't aware of this lure but it certainly looks like it will do the business.
I notice a lot of the Newburgh locals now fish the fly,did you give it a try when you were a member?

Duncan

Hamish Young

« Reply #9 on: 14/12/2007 at 15:37 »
Duncan,
Yes indeed  - used floating lines with superfast sink tips. Had quite a lot of success with the fly with a best of about 5lb (oh, and a couple of salmon on and off  :roll ) but the only hassle was the wee finnock  -3-4oz fish - nice to see the wee fish but after the first 30 or so it gets disturbing catching them  :shock
I can pass on a few patterns to you if you'd like  :cool:
Hamish

Hamish Young

« Reply #10 on: 14/12/2007 at 15:39 »
The Sutherland Special was made by John Sutherland at his home. He was an Engineer with the Gas Board in Aberdeen and it was not original. He copied it from a wooden plug made by a chap from Forfar. I believe John died some years ago.

Cheers for that  :z16 I did think the maker must be getting on a bit (if he was still with us at all) I wonder who took on the making of the lure  :?

Malcolm Copland

« Reply #11 on: 14/12/2007 at 16:31 »
It has been remanufactured on two occasions and was always packaged in the plastic tubes. I'm afraid I don't know who by, but it was locally.

Duncan McRae

« Reply #12 on: 16/12/2007 at 23:42 »
Hamish

Think i'm ok for fly patterns but it looks like i haven't been fishing deep enough.i'll try a superfast sink tip next time i'm there.
Last i heard was that the Sutherland patent had been transferred to an English manufacturer. Don't know who though.

Duncan

Che

« Reply #13 on: 18/12/2007 at 09:16 »
On the tub it states:

THE SUTHERLAND SPECIAL
Brit Pat. No. 793370

HOW TO MOUNT:Pass reel line through the body &knot to eye of Hook Link. No Anti-Kinks, Swivels or Weights needed. No Tail Bead is necessary.

Retail Enquiries invited  Tel: 01224 ### ####

I'm happy to pass on the number on the tub to anyone who wants it, rather than post it on the web site.

Ross

« Reply #14 on: 20/12/2007 at 21:47 »
Anyone heard of the Copper nail?

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com