Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Matt Clarke

Barrio SLX rejuvenation
« on: 13/02/2017 at 19:47 »
My Barrio SLX #6 line hasn't been used for a few months and is now somewhat coiled. I've tried laying it out on the grass to ensure it's coil free and also giving it a gentle stretch, but the coils remain, especially in the head section.

Is there anything you can suggest I do to try and rejuvenate it, please?

Many thanks,
Matt

Mike Barrio

Re: Barrio SLX rejuvenation
« Reply #1 on: 13/02/2017 at 20:11 »
Hi Matt,

Sounds like it might be twisted? Try pulling the line in arm lengths through a gripped damp cloth. If it is twisted, you will see it trying to untwist itself behind the cloth. If this is the case, repeat the process a few times until all the twists are removed.

Let me know how you get on.

Best wishes
Mike

Matt Clarke

« Reply #2 on: 13/02/2017 at 20:17 »
Many thanks, Mike. That's what I'd assumed, so I tried to untwist it by pulling (or casting!) the whole line off onto the grass and putting it back on again. Some of the coils seem to have stayed though. I'll give the damp cloth method a try to see if I can resolve it.

Used it yesterday and it absolutely flies out on my Hardy Zephrus!

Cheers,
Matt

Euan Innes

« Reply #3 on: 13/02/2017 at 22:17 »
I used to put a swivel on the tip end of the fly line then attach the swivel to a fence post or a tree and then run a micro fibre cloth from the swivel end gently to the other end of the line. Once I got to the other end I would pull gently on the whole line so the swivel would come in to play and get the twists out.  After that I would re-attach the line to the backing and wind it back on, keeping tension as I walked towards the fence post.
All that seemed to work just fine but you do need 30m of open grass and a dry day.
I also have the handle section of a spinning rod to put the fly reel on to so that I can brace the handle and run the line through my fingers to guide it back on to the reel.

Euan

Matt Clarke

« Reply #4 on: 14/02/2017 at 05:34 »
Clever idea! Thanks, Euan.

Hamish Young

« Reply #5 on: 14/02/2017 at 08:45 »
I used to put a swivel on the tip end of the fly line then attach the swivel to a fence post or a tree and then run a micro fibre cloth from the swivel end gently to the other end of the line.

Great minds and fools - used to do the same thing  :z13 I got some funny looks off the neighbours when we lived in Dinnet. I had one utterly convinced I washed my fly lines in water so that they floated in water......  :X2

H

John Powell

« Reply #6 on: 16/02/2017 at 13:53 »
.t.  After that I would re-attach the line to the backing and wind it back on, keeping tension as I walked towards the fence post........Euan.

i read 'somewhere' that is wrong;  as it induces coils as the stretched line tightens on the arbour

prob wrong - usually am..!

Marc Fauvet

« Reply #7 on: 16/02/2017 at 17:33 »
hi John,
where that would be 'wrong' would be if the line was under too much tension, as in stretched past its usual state.
this of course is completeley unnecessary and rather daft.
just 'enough' tension whether it be by running it through fingers in front of the reel or by walking back to the line's attachment point to spool the line cleanly and in order onto the reel is perfect. no need for more.

if you're still having coiling problems you could always place the unwound line in a pan of hottish water and then give it a light stretch along its length. not boiling or anywhere near boiling,  just 'hot to the touch' works perfectly.

let us know how you get along,
marc

John Powell

« Reply #8 on: 17/02/2017 at 02:02 »
hi John,

if you're still having coiling problems --------------

let us know how you get along,..............marc.............

marc
1st paragraph = understood

'coiling problem' is now in the bin..... :X2... ....having seen how my Barrio Mallard WF-6-ST lay straight as a ruler on its first use off an LA reel,  i have decided to cease buying ''budget/psuedo sales'' flylines

Hamish Young

« Reply #9 on: 17/02/2017 at 08:25 »
Is there anything you can suggest I do to try and rejuvenate it, please?

I meant to mention - but forgot  :cry - worth leaving the line in warm (not hot) water for half an hour before going through the steps described. The swivel method, for me, is a summer only thing - so air temp is warm.

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com