Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Peter Davidson

Re: Good News
« Reply #15 on: 07/02/2017 at 21:09 »
Reading this thread has given me terrible Sherlock like flashbacks and headaches to two different strands of life familiar both in the Highlands and the western Norwegian Islands off Askvol.
1. The never ending and ever increasingly expensive debate and debacle of Scottish Inshore Fisheries - that is sea fisheries to the 6 or 12 mile limit depending on how big, and how expensive an argument you want. As the chairman of the failed Highland Regulating Order, originally a SCOTTISH Government initiative I spent five years becoming more jaded while listening to "experts". The parenthesis are deliberate.  What defines an expert?  Easy you say - one who is very knowledgable on the subject. No. No. No No No. That would be far too logical. Let's throw in;
Knowledgeable purely about the subject with no axe to grind ar career to build - sorry never met one!
One with expert opinions who has no preconceived solution before spouting forth - sorry, never met one!
Perhaps one who has a wealth of experience working within the given subject but, again has no axe to grind - nope! Sorry never met one.

Nature management - an impossibility if attempted by humans - leave it to nature.  Does that sound negative?  No I am not sorry. After a decade of my six to date on your planet no one has convinced me humans will manage for the best rather than manage for the worth!
Should people stop trying to manage then? Perhaps not - just like we should not give up democracy because look where it has got us now - look around the world - it could be a lot worse for everyone!

2. Invasive or introduced species v incomers or migrants? It's the same question - when and where do you draw the line on when they become local? Pike - nearly 200 years - damned incomers! Eastie beasties bringing their boats round to the west and fishing our waters with their strange speaking crews - since before the Second World War - piece of nonsense! Do you see the parallel?

I thought, while living in my SAAB continually commuting between Aultgrishan, ALL of Highland Region and SCOTTISH Parliament/Pentland House/ Victoria Quay  it was a particular quirk of the Scots but, as I diversified and looked for differing opinions amongst our Norwegian neighbours I eventually came to the conclusion it is a problem with humans and capitalism. Worth will win. The judging comes from what humans value most - and that is a VERY touchy subject.

Mike Thornton

« Reply #16 on: 07/02/2017 at 21:35 »
It would appear the proposals are  "to rule out the criminalisation of freshwater fishing without written permission ".   I would think that, in legal terms, with this wording the police will take the view that you are not committing an offence an offence if you are fishing in fresh water,irrespective of what may be swimming therein.
   With " right to roam legislation",  and " wild camping " being fully legal,  this will trigger the end of angling as we know it.  Convoys of buses will be heading north from the central belt every weekend.

Derek Roxborough

« Reply #17 on: 07/02/2017 at 21:56 »
if you read the right to roam Paper , it does not confer the right to fish,  we have had the bus loads in the past , the bus loads came and the majority did buy permits ,it's what they left that was the problem, I hope you don't think the police will take any notice , they have had their fingers burnt too many times by clever poachers, we stopped worrying about it some time back, it's only people who have stocked lochs who may have worries, just go fishing  :cool:easgach 1

Mike Thornton

« Reply #18 on: 08/02/2017 at 21:44 »
I did not infer that the" right to roam" gave permission to fish..   It does however allow  unhindered access outwith areas of private curtilage.   If the proposals are taken at their current face value, you have the scenario whereby hordes of free fishing anglers will be flocking to the famous beats of our salmon rivers.  ( even if only to supposably fish for trout ).  This would wreck the fragile economy of Speyside, Deeside, and our other salmon river catchment areas.
   It appears this has been proposed with a political view  in mind by the SNP.   Let us hope common sense will prevail in the longer term.

Derek Roxborough

« Reply #19 on: 08/02/2017 at 22:00 »
but you did infer that people would be able to roam, and this would give them access to fishing spots, it would be strange if the places you mention did not have a protection order which means that fishing with out a permit is not allowed, at least these places have Bailiffs, it's a bit like the statement that the right to roam would give all the thieves and burglars access to the country side, the only ones that did were the ones who didn't have the nous to work in the towns  :X2 easgach 1

Mike Thornton

« Reply #20 on: 09/02/2017 at 16:22 »
I may be wrong , but as far as I am aware, the River Don is the only water in north east Scotland covered by a brown trout PO.
  However the proposals simply refer to free fishing in Fresh Water.    Montrose, Aberdeen, Stonehaven, Peterhead, Turriff, Huntly,Inverurie, Elgin, Forres, Nairn, etc. etc.  are all angling clubs which either rent, own, manage, or administer beats on north east rivers.   These clubs are required to pay fishery board rates which are determined by the Assessor.  The clubs get this money via the sale of permits, otherwise they would fold.  The rivers would suffer accordingly.   
   Likewise the" free fishing in fresh water" does not stipulate that angling effort be restricted to any particular type of fish.  As I said previously, if this ever goes ahead under the current proposals, it could be the death knell for Scotland as an attraction for atlantic salmon fishing on the global market.
    Imagine arriving at your beat in the morning to be confronted by a bunch of "see you Jimmies" a' droonin worms an' ploutin bandies....... O dear !

Derek Roxborough

« Reply #21 on: 09/02/2017 at 21:44 »
didn't read that way, any way I'm not a salmon fisher, our club only has wild brown trout,I think you are talking about the worst case scenario, are you related to Nichola Sturgeon? :X2 I dont'think it's the hey Jimmies you have to worry about, some of our eastern European "friends " are much worse, My daughter is a pike fisher and a loch she used to fish has loads of pike barbecues around it, where the so called anglers cook every thing they catch, that's the future , so Brexit may have some Benefits  :z12  easgach 1

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #22 on: 10/02/2017 at 09:14 »
My daughter is a pike fisher and a loch she used to fish has loads of pike barbecues around it, where the so called anglers cook every thing they catch,

Which is the exact reason that the withdrawal of the Wild Fisheries Bill bad.

Once more valuable resources remain completely unprotected.

Derek Roxborough

« Reply #23 on: 10/02/2017 at 13:34 »
But only for Pike fishers, Eh?  :X2 easgach 1

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #24 on: 10/02/2017 at 15:28 »
But only for Pike fishers, Eh?  :X2 easgach 1

You need to explain that one...

Derek Roxborough

« Reply #25 on: 10/02/2017 at 19:08 »
shouldn't have to Rob, I thought it was self explanatory,I know we cant have it all ways, but I didn't like the idea of seeing anglers become criminals, I am thinking of the Written permission part of the bill, the whole thing was un workable , the laws that exist are never policed , and who was going to be the Bailiffs,? the bloody Jobsworths as ever, our local fishery trust  was just waiting to become a local management group and that would have been another disaster,I think the status quo is working OK and long may it do so, I was at one of the consultation meetings on behalf of our club, I could see it was fraught with difficulty and it was the angler that would pay in the long run, I think the Scottish Government thought it was another cash cow waiting to be milked, ::) easgach 1

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com