Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Terry Coging

Fishing Knife?
« on: 30/01/2017 at 10:49 »
42 years ago I found a knife in a deserted cove on Loch Ewe. When quizzing Easgach about the Gairloch area it turns out that the knife was probably his!!
The knife had a woven string handle  and was the perfect 'no gimmics' fishermans knife.  I lost it 20 years ago and made a replacement using an ex army canteen knife and a bit of stag horn  from an antler found on a Sutherland moor. Lost that too  :z8
I will have to make another one.  Those shop bought knives have no soul....

Derek Roxborough

Re: Fishing Knife?
« Reply #1 on: 30/01/2017 at 14:41 »
I had unlimited access to twine in those days,and the winters were quite  long , we had no telly at the time,I have made one or two for others but my go to knife for fishing and filleting is the swiss Inox knife keeps a good edge , but I found a Lagoiulle folder and it makes a good filleter ( for sea fish), a local sawyer showed me a section through a plank from a tree from Inverness, with a pocket knife in it , we reckoned it must have been stuck there 60 years back and forgotten about the tree had completely engulfed it,luckily it hadn't managed to damage the saw blade, easgach 1

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com