Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Rob Brownfield

Savage Gear Pike Day on Loch of Skene
« on: 26/01/2017 at 12:45 »
Not sure I agree with the venue due to their policy towards Pike, but times move on. Might make them rethink it.

Anyway, well done to Somers for brining something different to the area. Not much for the fly angler, but they do make some interesting keel hooks that I use for Pike flies and of course, they have wire trace making materials. Also waistcoats, waders, bags and waterproofs as well as rubberised nets and so on.

Online catalogue here http://viewer.zmags.com/publication/1603a828#/1603a828/1

Hamish Young

Re: Savage Gear Pike Day on Loch of Skene
« Reply #1 on: 17/02/2017 at 18:12 »
I'm committed to other things, but having bumped into some the Savage folk at the CLA in the past this could well be worth a visit for those closer  :z16

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #2 on: 20/02/2017 at 11:39 »
Been informed that there will be Pike fly fishing happening....so maybe of interest to some now.

Lawrence Hunt

« Reply #3 on: 20/02/2017 at 15:01 »
I just spoke to the estate regarding a season ticket - it seems policy has been re-thought as the Loch is now 100% C&R

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #4 on: 20/02/2017 at 17:11 »
I just spoke to the estate regarding a season ticket - it seems policy has been re-thought as the Loch is now 100% C&R

It is indeed. Would like to think this is down to the pressure put on their pockets by anglers not renewing tickets.

Not sure what they are now charging, but the last time I was a member is was £90. 

Lawrence Hunt

« Reply #5 on: 20/02/2017 at 18:51 »
£80 now

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #6 on: 21/02/2017 at 08:17 »
£80 now

Sorry, just looked at my old ticket..yes, £80, not £90.

Lawrence Hunt

« Reply #7 on: 26/02/2017 at 21:15 »
Took my son down here today - interesting to see the kit and learn more about the lures. Some big lumps of rubber being thrown about - think training would be in order to make a habit of that! Inevitably came back with a bag of 'essentials'. Don't think I ever saw more than 15-20 people there at a time...hope it was worth the effort for the organisers - we certainly enjoyed it.

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #8 on: 27/02/2017 at 08:27 »
Took my son down here today - interesting to see the kit and learn more about the lures. Some big lumps of rubber being thrown about - think training would be in order to make a habit of that! Inevitably came back with a bag of 'essentials'. Don't think I ever saw more than 15-20 people there at a time...hope it was worth the effort for the organisers - we certainly enjoyed it.

Were you the gentleman with a 2 year old lab in tow who went off to watch the fly demonstration?

BTW, the big lumps of rubber are trolling lures. Normally fished on a down rigger towed behind a boat. They are not there biggest lures either. They do some lures for Halibut that are about twice as big :)

Lawrence Hunt

« Reply #9 on: 27/02/2017 at 19:28 »
Yep...that would have been me

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #10 on: 28/02/2017 at 08:19 »
Yep...that would have been me

Ahhh, I was with Nathan, the one with the puppy...that sounds so wrong! lol.

Lawrence Hunt

« Reply #11 on: 01/03/2017 at 21:00 »
 :z4

I'll send you a pm!

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com