Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

James Laraway

Articulated streamers
« on: 23/01/2017 at 16:38 »
inspired by the recent atricle in T&S i thought i would try tying up a few ....

Ive had big don trout on humungous' so i guess this would be the next step, cue outrage...  :z4

James Laraway

Re: Articulated streamers
« Reply #1 on: 23/01/2017 at 16:39 »
and some more

Hamish Young

« Reply #2 on: 24/01/2017 at 08:40 »
No outrage from me - just my cup of tea  :z13

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #3 on: 24/01/2017 at 09:14 »
I use streamers too...lots of streamers....just watch the rules if you are fishing ADAA waters  :X2 :X2

"

Euan Innes

« Reply #4 on: 24/01/2017 at 19:21 »
Me likee too! :z16
I am about to start filling my boxes for this year (needed a break before Xmas) and there is to be a streamer box with creations not unlike yours.
I have a couple of ideas about linking the hooks. How did you do it?

Euan

Allan Liddle

« Reply #5 on: 25/01/2017 at 13:05 »
Outrage from me  :mad Unless you Gink 'em up  :z4 :z4

Mike Barrio

« Reply #6 on: 25/01/2017 at 13:20 »
........ and barbless hooks of course :z4

Jan Keur

« Reply #7 on: 25/01/2017 at 14:54 »
Nice work James!! :z16

Fish Masks working nicely, great looks!!

Gr

Jan

James Laraway

« Reply #8 on: 26/01/2017 at 12:51 »
I just looked at some youtube videos of people tying articulated pike flies, and they had a brilliant technique.

tie on the rear hook of the fly, whip finish etc
 get a piece of mono ( or braid in my case) and whip one end to the front hook ( along the lengeth of the shank, double back and rewhip). Then slip a few beads onto the braid, then pass it through the eye of the rear hook , then back through the beads and tighten a bit. Then whip onto the front hook then tie on the front hook. Works like a dream :-)

Me likee too! :z16
I am about to start filling my boxes for this year (needed a break before Xmas) and there is to be a streamer box with creations not unlike yours.
I have a couple of ideas about linking the hooks. How did you do it?

Euan

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #9 on: 26/01/2017 at 12:56 »
I just looked at some youtube videos of people tying articulated pike flies, and they had a brilliant technique.

tie on the rear hook of the fly, whip finish etc
 get a piece of mono ( or braid in my case) and whip one end to the front hook ( along the lengeth of the shank, double back and rewhip). Then slip a few beads onto the braid, then pass it through the eye of the rear hook , then back through the beads and tighten a bit. Then whip onto the front hook then tie on the front hook. Works like a dream :-)

I have always used the looped mono and bead method. I have also used articulated shanks to a short hook (Partridge stinger with barb removed) so that I get a long body and a short, wiggly tail end. Gives a nice "shimmy" in the water.

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #10 on: 26/01/2017 at 13:00 »
Forgot to mention, you can also use a shank and have a fre swinging hook that can be changed if it becomes damaged. This is a common setup for tying "intruder" style flies for Steelhead.

Works well. Saw a 7lb Brownie taken on the don using this style of hook/shank/fly.

James Laraway

« Reply #11 on: 26/01/2017 at 14:53 »
from what i have seen ( and tied) in terms of intruders you dont normally tie on the stinger hook so you dont get the 'wiggle' ?

i have some of the colours shanks and tonnes of stinger hooks so this is a good reminder to get tying with them :-)

James Laraway

« Reply #12 on: 26/01/2017 at 14:55 »
I have always used the looped mono and bead method. I have also used articulated shanks to a short hook (Partridge stinger with barb removed) so that I get a long body and a short, wiggly tail end. Gives a nice "shimmy" in the water.

in terms of getting stinger hooks i got mine off atckle bargains...they were a 'steal'

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #13 on: 27/01/2017 at 08:44 »
in terms of getting stinger hooks i got mine off atckle bargains...they were a 'steal'

For trout, I tie on the shank and the hook, and get a wiggle. If I want changeable hooks I tie the fly intruder style, but add dressing to the hook, leaving a slight gape at the eye to accommodate the loop of nylon or braid (braid gives more wiggle).

James Laraway

« Reply #14 on: 26/04/2017 at 13:33 »
i took your advice Rob and tied the 'front' of the fly on a 25mm shank and though i would give fishskulls a try . The rear hook is a size4 stinger hook...

i think i'll tie up a few more

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com