Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Hamish Young

Carron Jetstream trout lines
« on: 17/11/2007 at 07:55 »
Simple one this folks - whilst I do have an offer from Carron to try out a Carron Jetstream line (trout) after a post I put on on a now semi-defunct forum last year (must email Carron about that offer  :oops ) has anyone on the forum here either:

1. Have one -  which they might bring along to Haddo so that I might try it briefly :wink
2. Used one/tried one out - in which case what was it like  :?

I'm catching up on "stuff" and this has been nagging at the back of my mind for a while  :!

Graham Ritchie

Re: Carron Jetstream trout lines
« Reply #1 on: 17/11/2007 at 11:39 »
Hamish,
Send a pm to Willie Gunn on http://salmo.proboards74.com/index.cgi?
He has a selection of Carron lines which he sends out as demonstrators. I havent tried the trout lines myself, but if they are as good as the salmon lines they are certainly well worth trying. It is just a pity that they have set the price so high.

Hamish Young

« Reply #2 on: 17/11/2007 at 11:58 »
Worth trying that  :wink  As I recall the offer from Carron came around (to try the line) as I protested at the price myself...... £50 for a trout line (no matter how clever) is a might on the steep side  :shock but as you say, have only heard good things about the salmon lines.
Mind you, the Monteith line seems to be giving the Carron more than a run for it's money in that respect  :!

Magnus Angus

« Reply #3 on: 17/11/2007 at 14:41 »
Hamish

Speak to Alan Liddle - he has a Carron Trout line - very good lines.

Meanwhile try Googling - Sharkskin fly line.
New textured line from SA - $100 in the US or £70 in the UK.
Possibly a technological breakthrough - certainly the noisiest line I've used.

Hamish Young

« Reply #4 on: 17/11/2007 at 17:18 »
Magnus - sounds interesting (no pun intended  :wink:z15

goosander

« Reply #5 on: 18/11/2007 at 19:17 »
Have not tried the Carron lines but nowadays would not go past the Hardy Mach 11 lines.For many years we stuck to the Michael Evans lines but after two seasons the running line was "knackered". Spliced on a no 6 floating line and got a lot more seasons out of them.
A friend who was in charge of Milbro [a name from the past] reconed it cost about fifty pence to make a fly line and cost a lot more for the packageing. A line put on the market at say fifteen pounds would not sell but put it up to thirty to forty pounds and give it a good press in the angling press and it would sell like"hot cakes"

Magnus Angus

« Reply #6 on: 18/11/2007 at 23:32 »
it cost about fifty pence to make a fly line and cost a lot more for the packageing.

Yup just some string and a bit of plastic, some colour and a pinch silicon. Course the machines needed cost tens of thousands, each die used for each line size for each taper cost hundreds. Running costs for the factory unit and wages costs hundreds of thousands.The price of raw materials has little to do with cost and nothing to do with retail prices. That said, I think you're right about perceived value.

At least one manufacturer estimates a normal working life for a fly line as something in the order of hundreds of hours fishing - between one and two hundred. For normal users PVC lines age rapidly as much through exposure to UV as by casting. Some of the competition guys can ruin a line in as little as 15 hours. Badly worn rings, harsh jerky casting and a little fine grit can make a mess of most lines in a matter of days.

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com