Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Simon Bruce

Rod Refurb
« on: 08/01/2017 at 10:56 »
I have a greys xf2 streamflex plus that I have had for quite a few years now and is in need of a refurb (new rings, handle etc). I was just wondering if anybody on the forum knows of anybody that could do this for me. Was in past Somers and the guy there phoned them and Greys said that they couldn't do it as the rod had come from the States :mad
Any help much appreciated
simon

Derek Roxborough

Re: Rod Refurb
« Reply #1 on: 08/01/2017 at 14:05 »
That seems a bit extreme seeing that Greys were the maker, tell them that you will publish the fact on the forum, it may ignite some thing, easgach 1

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #2 on: 09/01/2017 at 17:33 »
Do it yourself :) Its not difficult and there are folk on here that can advise :)

Much more satisfying knowing that you built it the way you want it.

Simon Bruce

« Reply #3 on: 09/01/2017 at 22:05 »
Would love too do it myself, but with work requirements i really don't see me having much free time till at least the beginning of March  :cry
And I don't think I would have the patience to do the best job and I really don't want to mess it up
Will see might give it a crack if work eases up a bit
Where would be the best place to get a new cork handle from?

Cheers
Simon

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #4 on: 10/01/2017 at 12:30 »
Several options for a handle. You can either build one from scratch, or you can buy pre shaped ones. Costs run from £5 up to £50! I now build mine from cork rings bought directly from Portugal via E-bay. Before that I was buying from Guides n blanks in the UK or hilevel in Sweden. There are others however.

The other option is for Winn grips, solid wood or carbon...something to consider :)

http://www.hilevel.se/en/cork-handle/

Derek Roxborough

« Reply #5 on: 10/01/2017 at 16:19 »
Mchardy of Carlisle sell preformed cork at decent prices, easgach 1

drifter84

« Reply #6 on: 12/02/2017 at 21:42 »
Its to bad they told you the rod was from the US and not even offer any advice, but they saved you a lot of money in shipping. To send anything, especially rods across the Atlantic is very expensive. I ship from from Canada to the US and they charge an arm and a leg.  I send rod building stuff to friends in the UK and Ireland and it costs. The forum must have some builders locally  who can do it for you.
Good luck

Dan

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com