Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Stewart Weston

Shooting head running line
« on: 06/12/2016 at 10:41 »
Greetings fellow tight-liners, your help and advice please:
What is the best make/brand  of shooting head running line, there so many on the market (tangle free, mono, grip, coated etc.)  I'm not sure what to try as this is my first go at a shooting head.  Any recommendations and reasons would be joyfully received.
Cheers.

Rob Brownfield

Re: Shooting head running line
« Reply #1 on: 06/12/2016 at 12:59 »
I am using the running line marketed by Scott MacKenzie. No complaints at all.

I have used others but will probably stick with the MacKenzie one as its well made, floats high, and the loops are well formed and large.

Hamish Young

« Reply #2 on: 06/12/2016 at 15:45 »
Assuming it's Salmon weight heads we're talking about then I'd agree with Robs recommendation wholeheartedly,  I use a variety of running lines from the very cheap to the (absurdly) expensive and most of my fishing is generally done with Scotts running line as it's the best middle of the road option and ideal for a first time shooting head user.

H

Munro Reid

« Reply #3 on: 07/12/2016 at 13:48 »
The Scierra running line is awesome and cheap as chips.
Can't fault it

Hamish Young

« Reply #4 on: 07/12/2016 at 17:29 »
Which one Munro :? I have tried the tactical kevlar and was quite impressed, but Scierra offer a fair choice of running lines.

H

Stewart Weston

« Reply #5 on: 11/12/2016 at 09:45 »
The Scierra running line is awesome and cheap as chips.
Can't fault it
Thanks Munro, does this Kevlar running line float or hover, like the price - thanks again

Euan Innes

« Reply #6 on: 11/12/2016 at 17:48 »
Another fan of Scott's running line  :z16
No tangles, straight shooting, good loop on the end and when you wind it up it really flies.
His lines are as good too. The floater with the intermediate tip is the best thing since bread came pre-cut. A 15' Rio tapered leader on that line with a wee flee turns over like I know what I am doing so bonus marks there.  :z4
Euan

Stewart Weston

« Reply #7 on: 12/12/2016 at 08:53 »
Another fan of Scott's running line  :z16
No tangles, straight shooting, good loop on the end and when you wind it up it really flies.
His lines are as good too. The floater with the intermediate tip is the best thing since bread came pre-cut. A 15' Rio tapered leader on that line with a wee flee turns over like I know what I am doing so bonus marks there.  :z4
Euan
Thanks Euan, I've just come across this while looking at Scott's lines - have you any thoughts  - thank you
https://www.johnnorris.co.uk/mackenzie-g2-headline-shooting-head-with-attached-running-line.html#tabs

Hamish Young

« Reply #8 on: 12/12/2016 at 16:57 »
I know you asked Euan but it's conceivable I have a wee bit more experience of this line.
Although integrated heads are popular IMHO you are better having the separate head and running line set up - that allows considerably more flexibility over the integrated head and line, you can simply swap heads as you fish down a pool rather than a whole spool for example.

James Laraway

« Reply #9 on: 21/12/2016 at 16:15 »
the AirFlo ridged running line for me - cheap and works superbly

Euan Innes

« Reply #10 on: 21/12/2016 at 18:51 »
I know you asked Euan but it's conceivable I have a wee bit more experience of this line.
Although integrated heads are popular IMHO you are better having the separate head and running line set up - that allows considerably more flexibility over the integrated head and line, you can simply swap heads as you fish down a pool rather than a whole spool for example.

Aye what he said. I am thinking about a sinking head for this year matched to a Rio Versileader (back to the wetcel II days!) so the seperate running line is a must. Cheaper than a spool too  :z16

Euan

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com