Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Mike Barrio

Stewart Style Dry?
« on: 02/12/2016 at 09:39 »
Anybody tried tying a Stewart Style Spider incorporating some sort of CDC wing?

I dreamt it up last night and fancy having a go ...... but like everything else I'm sure it's been done before :z4

Anybody tied anything similar?

Cheers
Mike

Mike Barrio

Re: Stewart Style Dry?
« Reply #1 on: 02/12/2016 at 10:53 »
Tell you what ....... let's make this a competition for the winter months :z16

I'll put up a prize from within the Barrio range for the best 'step by step' posted below. Get your creative hats on folks :cool:

Full size 'Forum Gallery' photos in your step by steps will help you to be the winner ...... and if the entries are really good I might hand out a few prizes :wink

Cheers
Mike

Liam Stephen

« Reply #2 on: 02/12/2016 at 12:37 »
Any fly Mike?

I also had a sudden brainwave a couple of nights ago - U.V coating the body on my PTNs. It will add durability, weight, give it better hydrodynamics and  I think it might also enhance the segmentation. I've still not tried it but will tonight and put up some pics.

:z18

Mike Barrio

« Reply #3 on: 02/12/2016 at 12:48 »
Any fly Mike?

Nope ..... I'm looking for your ideas for a dry 'Stewart Style Spider' incorporating some sort of CDC wing Liam. Something simple and fast to produce, but at the same time 'fishy'  :cool:

Cheers
Mike

Allan Liddle

« Reply #4 on: 02/12/2016 at 13:58 »
I've always had the notion that the original Stewart Style dries fish in much the same way as our more modern emerger style patterns, i.e. with the hook below the surface half in / half out trapped style.
So if you put the wing directly out the front of the hook it would then fish straight up as the hook point would inevitably be submerged.

I know this wasn't how these flies were originally designed to fish, however I'm certain that they did and were to downfall of many a fish as a direct result.  :wink

Mike Barrio

« Reply #5 on: 02/12/2016 at 14:10 »
Great stuff ..... looking forward to your take on the spider turned into a CDC dry Allan :cool:

Cheers
Mike

Mike Barrio

« Reply #6 on: 02/12/2016 at 15:14 »
Dennis shared this video on FB today .......... interesting :cool:

This is, I believe, an interpretation of the classic as per the book. Personally, I prefer the profile that Sandy gives them ( correct me if I'm wrong Sandy ) which is pretty much what you see on the fly in our forum logo.

Mike Barrio

« Reply #7 on: 22/12/2016 at 20:19 »
Although not a spider, this is the kind of thing that I was picturing in my mind ........... I've seen quite a few like this in Spain.

Mike Barrio

« Reply #8 on: 23/12/2016 at 10:01 »
Here's another example ................

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #9 on: 01/01/2017 at 16:35 »
Most people on here are familiar with my CDC Spiders.

I have been tying a few today to fill the box for this year and thought it is a similar way to tie in the hackle to the Stewart Style flies, although its a spun hackle instead of a wound feather. Still the idea is basically the same.

Still one of my favourite and most successful patterns. :z18

Sandy

Mike Barrio

« Reply #10 on: 01/01/2017 at 16:37 »
Nice Sandy ...... I like those :z16

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com