Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

benbryant

Trout Takes??
« on: 14/11/2007 at 17:21 »
Yesterday at Haddo, was my first time fishing late autumn/early winter, and i noticed a stark difference in the way the trout were taking the fly. I was, the majority of the time using the line as a indicator of the trout takes. much like you would watch a float. The trout seemed quite lethargic and i was wondering if this is the case most of the time through the winter months?? It's funny though as i had one of my better days with regards to catch total.

Kind regards Ben.

Jim Eddie

Re: Trout Takes??
« Reply #1 on: 14/11/2007 at 19:53 »
Hi Ben

Hard to say , I'm more of an instictive angler than a thinking one so I don't keep any records of trout behaviour by season. Not saying thats the right approach just suits me.

I havent noticed any distinct pattern , some days the takes are savage, some days you would not know you had a fish on till the line tightens.

Saying that , Trout metabolism would slow down in Winter and they are less likely to chase a fly, you need to put a fly/ lure past their nose more in the winter, generally with a lure they are attacking it as an intruder to their territory rather than a food item so takes can still be savage.

I'll tell you after Sunday  :grin

:z18

Jim

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com