Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Dave Robb

Re: Orvis Banchory
« Reply #15 on: 21/02/2017 at 13:13 »
That's like the magazine selection at Asda, it's all Carp Angler and the likes with no sign of anything relevant to the local area.

You would think a local manager would flag it up to head office that these things aren't selling, which I assume is the case.

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #16 on: 21/02/2017 at 18:04 »
That's like the magazine selection at Asda, it's all Carp Angler and the likes with no sign of anything relevant to the local area.

You would think a local manager would flag it up to head office that these things aren't selling, which I assume is the case.

Ahem...there are plenty of carp anglers up here I will have you know ;)

Andrew Ashcroft

« Reply #17 on: 21/02/2017 at 20:15 »
I must be getting old as I can remember when Richard Walker was at Farlows also on Belmont street.  Les Smith had a shop for a while in the Spital, is that the one you meant Minamoto?
Going back to Orvis in Banchory, l looked in there last week to browse the fly tying stuff but there was next to nothing. The guy I spoke said it was down to the area manager but he assured me it was going back to normal soon, so here's hoping.

Dave Robb

« Reply #18 on: 21/02/2017 at 20:44 »
I just remember the Spital shop was found on the corner at the crossroads with Merkland Road.

That was way back, would be over 20 years anyway.

Broons was always good.  The prices for boxes of hooks etc seemed to be made up on the spot at the time of paying and were mostly lower than what they probably should have been. 

Andrew Ashcroft

« Reply #19 on: 21/02/2017 at 21:01 »
Aye that was Les's shop alright. Broons was a great shop, always had a good range of second hand rods etc.

Mike Barrio

« Reply #20 on: 21/02/2017 at 21:46 »

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #21 on: 22/02/2017 at 08:13 »
Les now runs a sandwich business. Buy my lunch off him every day. He had been living in Spain but came back. Still fishing but not as much

Not seen Richard for many many years. Last time I saw him he was living in Inch and working in town as a NDT bod.

I loved going through the back in Browns as you never ever knew what you were going to find!

What was the name of the shop that was just along from Browns? Richard worked there before he opened his own place.

Andrew Ashcroft

« Reply #22 on: 22/02/2017 at 10:24 »
Richard worked at Farlows on Belmont st. He opened his shop on king st after Farlows closed.

Euan Innes

« Reply #23 on: 22/02/2017 at 10:38 »
Richard worked at Farlows on Belmont st. He opened his shop on king st after Farlows closed.

You sure it was Farlows?
I remember the shop and bought my first proper rod from Richard (Ryobi Double Top, MG357 reel and Masterline floater along with a Barbour tackle bag) but I thought that it had a different name. Maybe old age is getting to me!
I used to love Browns as well Rob. Great shop!
Now I go to Angus Angling in Forfar for the same experience - lovely little shop, proper old school. The mail order service is second to none as well. Neil hand delivered a Guideline Farion to my house once with no extra charge.  :z14
Euan

« Reply #24 on: 22/02/2017 at 12:22 »
It was John Dickson and sons that was on Belmont street all top of the range stuff in there. I used to go in as a scruffy kid we ma mates and ask for for a spring for my Diana air rifle cause we knew they did not stock such rubbish air weapons.

But the response was always funny or at least we though so. We dont stock Diana with a look of disgust only weihrauch and feinwerkbau. A did go back letter when i up graded to a HW80  :z4 :z4 :z4.

That said they had great flees and my Hardy fibalite was purchased from that shop.

Euan Innes

« Reply #25 on: 22/02/2017 at 14:26 »
Aye, John Dickson, that was it.  :z16
Great shop! Still have the reel and the bag too. :z4

Euan

Mike Thornton

« Reply #26 on: 22/02/2017 at 15:25 »
The shop about forty yards below Browns on Belmont Street was Sharpes of Aberdeen.   They actually made Farlows tackle.
  You could get some  quality (seconds) on the Farlows gear if you were acquaint any of the staff, particularly those who worked in the Sharpes factory.

Andrew Ashcroft

« Reply #27 on: 22/02/2017 at 16:20 »
Aye Redfish your right it was as you say, I knew Farlows came into it. John Dicksons came later.

« Reply #28 on: 22/02/2017 at 17:36 »
A seem to remember woolies also had a fair old selection of tackle in the early 70s mostly sea stuff a think and it was right beside the pic and mix  Braw.

Duncan McRae

« Reply #29 on: 22/02/2017 at 19:39 »
It was John Dickson and sons that was on Belmont street all top of the range stuff in there. I used to go in as a scruffy kid we ma mates and ask for for a spring for my Diana air rifle cause we knew they did not stock such rubbish air weapons.

But the response was always funny or at least we though so. We dont stock Diana with a look of disgust only weihrauch and feinwerkbau. A did go back letter when i up graded to a HW80  :z4 :z4 :z4.

That said they had great flees and my Hardy fibalite was purchased from that shop.

Yes,they had great flees.

I particularly remember the Alex Martin 'Parachute' dry flies which were deadly for the late evening troot rises on the Don.
They used to come in a bonny wee tin with a picture of a troot on the front.

Browns were great for rod repairs especially for my cane rods which got broken quite regularly.They never charged much for the service.

Duncan

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com