Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Hamish Young

I heard earlier this evening that Bruce Sandison has passed away.

I very much doubt if there are many anglers in Scotland who are not aware of the impact Bruce's writing has had on fishing in Scotland, if there are any then they deserve to be educated. We probably all have read something of Bruces but for many, myself included, it was his original Trout Lochs of Scotland that started off an anglers adventure. I well remember - in a small way - contributing to that book although I cannot take credit for 'standard loch patterns will suffice'.
I have often bought his books, on more than just fishing, for my Father as the two of them used to chat on the phone reasonably often. Mostly about fishing and salmon farming but also about the potential for patenting a cure for the curse of the Highland Midge. Needless to say, neither of them ever managed to patent anything that worked, one of them knew a lot about fishing and the other one is my Dad (sorry Dad  :oops).

He will be missed by us all and on the big loch he's fishing now.... well, Bruce if I can offer some advice :? Standard loch patterns chum :X2

Hamish

Allan Liddle

Re: Bruce Sandison - gone to the big loch in the sky
« Reply #1 on: 31/10/2016 at 21:39 »
Heard the sad news today as well H and like many this man through his writings has has a profound effect on my adventures through the wild places.
A true angling legend who will be sadly missed and reminiscent of times past.

Enjoy the big loch in the sky Bruce, and please leave a few for me.

Mike Barrio

« Reply #2 on: 31/10/2016 at 22:32 »
Sad news indeed Hamish ...... my thoughts are with Bruce's family.

Best wishes
Mike

Euan Innes

« Reply #3 on: 01/11/2016 at 09:41 »
Now that has ruined a good day.
My memories of Bruce go back a very long time and I used to avidly read everything he wrote in the national press, from the P&J to Trout and Salmon.
He had a real magical way of making wee trout sound like monsters and it was Bruce's writings that made me travel north to Kinbrace for a week when I was eighteen, for what I can only describe as a wondrous learning curve. :z4

I recall one story about fish only coming to the boat when he sang one particular song. Every time he stopped the sport dried up so he kept singing the whole day. The song? "Ho ro, my nut brown maiden". It has never worked for me although I have tried!  :z4 :z4 :z4

He will be sadly missed. Nobody seems to wear Barbour wax with a red / white shemagh and fish a cane rod any more. A legend has passed.

:z1

Jim Eddie

« Reply #4 on: 01/11/2016 at 16:45 »
In his own words, i think this sums it up rather nicely, RIP Bruce

Fishing has given me more than I can ever repay. Ann and I have walked miles and miles together fishing amid Scotland’s magnificent mountains and moorlands.

We have seen such dawns and sunsets as dreams are made of; heard the roaring of September stags and the harsh croak of ravens; marvelled at soaring golden eagles; been shadowed by curious black-throated and red-throated divers as our boat drifted down some lonely shore; watched otters playing with their cubs along yellow strands.

In truth, catching fish is but a very small part of the pleasure that angling has brought us and, happily, brought also to the members of the Sandison Family Fishing Association.

:z18

Jim

Mike Thornton

« Reply #5 on: 01/11/2016 at 21:48 »
Very sad indeed.    I got great support from Bruce when trying to convince Ross Finnie, MSP, (Enviroment Minister ) in the previous Lib/Lab. Scottish Government, that it would be  nothing short of a disaster if he went forward with the politically motivated proposal to revoke the Brown Trout Protection Order on the river Don.   Bruce was not aware this was taking place and joined in the battle with all guns blazing.

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #6 on: 02/11/2016 at 08:22 »
I can only echo some of that.

I spoke to Bruce a few times over the years and he was always full of enthusiasm and took them time to indulge a fellow enthusiast :z18
I guess it comes to us all eventually but Bruce will be missed. :z16
Rest in Peace.

Sandy

stickleback

« Reply #7 on: 02/11/2016 at 17:24 »
Sad news indeed.  I still often refer to his"Rivers & Lochs of Scotland".  Although I never met him, I try and follow his advice as per the dedication my wife got him to write on the inside cover of my book.  Sound words that we should all heed.

Derek Roxborough

« Reply #8 on: 02/11/2016 at 19:08 »
A true man of the Lochs, I met him quite a few times and he always went out of his way to talk to you a sad loss , easgach 1

Mike Thornton

« Reply #9 on: 04/11/2016 at 11:25 »
It is perhaps worth noting that there is a comprehensive obituary to Bruce Sandison, by Rita Campbell, in the Press and Journal today.

Munro Reid

« Reply #10 on: 12/11/2016 at 01:09 »
Spoken to Bruce a few weeks ago and he sounded in good health and he was gathering info to update his new book while we chatted.
A great loss to angling, sadly I feel that the younger generation don't fight the angling corner like Bruce did.

Mike Barrio

« Reply #11 on: 17/11/2016 at 17:43 »
[facebook]https://www.facebook.com/117880628246068/photos/a.257097327657730.68247.117880628246068/1333012976732821/?type=3&theater[/facebook]

Munro Reid

« Reply #12 on: 17/11/2016 at 21:25 »
I was shocked when I heard the news, I had spoken to him a couple of weeks earlier and in true Bruce's style he was picking my brains about who controls which local waters and what changes had came about over the past few years.
He told me he was updating his database for his next revision of his book so I guess this was sudden.

A true gent, RIP big guy

Mike Barrio

« Reply #13 on: 08/12/2016 at 13:20 »
I've just read Mark Bowler's article in this month's (January) edition of Fly Fishing & Fly Tying Magazine ....... Very well written :z16

Jim Eddie

« Reply #14 on: 08/12/2016 at 18:59 »
Yes I read it a few days ago an eloquent eulogy

:z18

Jim

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com