Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

stickleback

Line query
« on: 27/10/2016 at 18:00 »
Gents
Inspired by the pollock fishing thread and also mentions elsewhere about streamer fishing I think I'll be giving both a try next season.  So in that regard I was wondering if anyone can advise if the same line would be suitable for both techniques ?   The line I'm thinking of is a 7ips sinking line, listed as "Airflo Forty Plus Ridge Striper Pike / Cold Saltwater". 

Regards

Cammy

Derek Roxborough

Re: Line query
« Reply #1 on: 27/10/2016 at 21:03 »
I use the older  Airflo 40+ inter ,I have no idea how fast it sinks but it works for me it's the  5/6 to go with my 5wt rod, any line that suits your rod will work , easgach 1

Hamish Young

« Reply #2 on: 28/10/2016 at 09:56 »
Gents
Inspired by the pollock fishing thread and also mentions elsewhere about streamer fishing I think I'll be giving both a try next season.  So in that regard I was wondering if anyone can advise if the same line would be suitable for both techniques ?   The line I'm thinking of is a 7ips sinking line, listed as "Airflo Forty Plus Ridge Striper Pike / Cold Saltwater". 

Regards

Cammy

That'll do the job in the salt Cammy, but where do you see yourself streamer fishing :? If short distance river casts then I'd not consider that line as ideal.

H

Roger Hoad

« Reply #3 on: 28/10/2016 at 10:19 »
There's a very good article in the September edition of Total Flyfishing on fly fishing for Pollock. Might be worth a read. :z16

Hamish Young

« Reply #4 on: 28/10/2016 at 10:24 »
There is :? Must admit that's not a magazine I buy, but will look it up - cheers.

Euan Innes

« Reply #5 on: 28/10/2016 at 11:59 »

stickleback

« Reply #6 on: 28/10/2016 at 16:30 »
That'll do the job in the salt Cammy, but where do you see yourself streamer fishing :? If short distance river casts then I'd not consider that line as ideal.

H

Thanks Hamish - for streamer fishing it's going to be mostly the Don from around Fintry and downstream.  I haven't any experience with 40+ lines so if there's one that's more suited for shorter river casts it would be good to hear about and I'll probably add it to my list for Santa  :z4   

A'body else - many thanks for your comments and link to the article.

Cheers

Cammy

Hamish Young

« Reply #7 on: 28/10/2016 at 16:51 »
Cammy, I'd opt for a Barrio SLX and a meaningful set of superfast sinking tips for river use. I use the SLX in a #6 for most of my streamer fishing matched to shop bought and home made tips ranging from quick sinking to proper 'chuck and duck' sinking. I'm happy to bow to others who may feel differently, but for river fishing I have not found the need to go beyond an intermediate when streamer fishing - the tips and flies are more important IMHO.

H :cool:

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #8 on: 31/10/2016 at 12:21 »
Gents

Regards

Cammy

For Pollock/general saltwater I use the standard Airflo Cold Saltwater Striper lines. These have been replaced by the 40+ lines. I have used these for Streamer fishing, but as they are all 9 weights, I feel they are far too heavy for trout streamers.

I also have a full range of Airflo 40+ Sniper lines that I use for Pike.

For streamers on the Don I use either the Rio Streamer line with the clear sinking tips and weighted flies or as Hamish mentions, a Barrio SLX with tips. These are 7 weights (I use big flies!!) Of the two lines, the Rio Streamer is a nicer line to use with the bigger streamers, but the SLX is better with more respectable streamers such as Woolly Buggers and the like.

When using "normal" streamers, I us a 5 weight SLX but only with intermediate leaders as that's all I need on the "skinny" water I fish the streamers.

Back to Pollock...A lot will depend on where you are fishing for them. I use 9 weights because invariably I am fishing off rocky outcrops and heavy kelp beds. Pollock are stupidly strong for their size and having a rod that can stop them diving is important to me. I don't like the feeling when a £45 fly line is being dragged across rocks :(

One last consideration, I find the ridge lines really cut my fingers, especially when ingrained with salt and sand. Wear stripping gloves, it will save some painful cuts when a Pollock "does one".  :)

stickleback

« Reply #9 on: 02/11/2016 at 16:46 »
Gents - thanks for all the thoughts on lines for salt and streamer fishing.   It looks like my X-Mas list has got a wee bit longer   :z4

Cheers

Cammy

Andy Wren

« Reply #10 on: 11/11/2016 at 09:17 »
Really excellent article.  :z16

http://www.totalflyfisher.com/weekly-blogs/item/1681-pollack-from-the-deep

:z1

The tackle described there takes me back to Datchet in the 70s , modifide carp blanks ,cortland kerplunk lead core backed with red shooting line from cortland a nasty one from B church or dons of edmontons oval .heaved out fom the boatswith monstous "flys" composed of half a packet of marabou.
T14 would have been a god send .

Hamish Young

« Reply #11 on: 11/11/2016 at 09:23 »
Oddly enough I experimented heavily in the late '80s and early '90s with the sort of gear used on the big English reservoirs - especially the rudder method - on the big lochs near me at the time (Shiel, Morar, Eilt, Lochy etc) with some stunning results..... and I completely agree.... some T14 would indeed have been a god send :! :z16 Might give it all a go again next year  :z17

H :cool:

Euan Innes

« Reply #12 on: 11/11/2016 at 10:03 »
I'm IN!! :z4

:z1

Steven Sinclair

« Reply #13 on: 11/11/2016 at 14:37 »
Hamish,

Beings as a certain other Sinclair on the forum has purchased a static caravan at Loch earn, this is something which I fully intend on plating with next year too.

I have zero experience with this type of fly fishing but I'm sure it will be good fun trying to work it all out.

Cheers,

Steven.

Hamish Young

« Reply #14 on: 11/11/2016 at 17:39 »
Steven - come up the road and join me (and probably Euan  :wink)  for a day or two  :z16

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com