Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Roger Hoad

Line for 9'0" #7 Orvis Recon
« on: 13/10/2016 at 10:08 »
Hi Mike,
Can you recommend a line for the above rod? I have used a Wychwood Connect on it but find that it casts the head and some running line with only one false cast. The running line is then incapable of supporting the head so the whole cast collapses.
I must say that this is the first time that I have ever had this problem and it took a few casts before I realised what was actually going on.

Mike Barrio

Re: Line for 9'0" #7 Orvis Recon
« Reply #1 on: 13/10/2016 at 12:03 »
Hi Roger,

Thanks for your email. From what you describe, I'm sure you'll find my Mallard WF7F, GT90 WF7F and GT125 WF7F will all offer stable casting on your rod. The GT90 is currently sold out again I'm afraid, but the next batch should arrive soon.

Best wishes
Mike

Roger Hoad

« Reply #2 on: 13/10/2016 at 12:49 »
Thanks Mike,
I thought the GT 90 might be the one. Do you know when they'll be back in stock?

Mike Barrio

« Reply #3 on: 13/10/2016 at 13:32 »
Hi Roger,

They are on high priority at the factory and should be available again soon, but I can't get delivery dates I'm afraid. I'll update the website as soon as they arrive. The GT125 is of course equally good, it simply has more running line :wink

Best wishes
Mike

Roger Hoad

« Reply #4 on: 13/10/2016 at 13:52 »
Hi Mike,
Thanks for the reply, I looked at the 125 and thought that it was only the running line that was different. I'll order one later just hope it will fit on my reel (Lamson Litespeed 3), if it doesn't I suppose that I can always cut the running line down.

I was looking at the reels on your website, they look very nice and I'm sure that being made in Germany they are very good. What is the weight of the 5/6 please.

Regards,

Roger

Mike Barrio

« Reply #5 on: 13/10/2016 at 14:01 »
You can find all the reel specifications, including weights, on the info page here Roger: http://www.flylineshop.com/barrio-fly-reels.html

The 5/6, which suits 5 to 7 weight fly lines with plenty of backing ..... weighs 199 grams.

Best wishes
Mike

Roger Hoad

« Reply #6 on: 14/10/2016 at 18:43 »
Line arrived today Mike. Thank you for the great service. It fitted on the reel ok, just had to remove a small amount of backing as it was no where near as bulky as I thought it would be.

Looks and feels really nice, will try to grass cast it tomorrow time and weather permitting. :z16

Roger Hoad

« Reply #7 on: 16/10/2016 at 13:53 »
Took the rod & line for a 'grass cast' this morning. It was very blustery but in spite of this the line performed extremely well, it has certainly cured the issue that I originally had. A great line at an even greater price :X1
Thanks for all of your help Mike.

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com