Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Liam Stephen

Ceramic Nymphs
« on: 31/08/2016 at 18:26 »
I received a cool little selection of flies from France a few days back. I've been following Stan's Blog and FB posts for quiet some time now and took advantage of his 10th anniversary offer. Very pleased the quality of the bugs, I'll try them tomorrow.

I might attempt to tie some of my own over winter.

:z18

Mike Barrio

Re: Ceramic Nymphs
« Reply #1 on: 31/08/2016 at 19:52 »
They look different Liam, will be interesting to see how you get on with them :z16

Liam Stephen

« Reply #2 on: 31/08/2016 at 21:02 »
Won't be trying them on running water Mike. Tomorrow is a still water day, hopefully the resident fish approve.

Steven Sinclair

« Reply #3 on: 31/08/2016 at 21:34 »
Is that all thread body, coated with bugbond or equivalent?

I can't really tell from the picture.

Cheers,

Steven

Liam Stephen

« Reply #4 on: 31/08/2016 at 21:39 »
It's lead, paint and bug bond. Looks like a time consuming process but the final product looks worth it.

www.ceramicnymphs.com

Check them out.

Mike Barrio

« Reply #5 on: 01/09/2016 at 12:45 »
Thanks for the wee nymphs Liam ...... arrived today :z16

Cheers
Mike

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #6 on: 01/09/2016 at 13:32 »
Link does not work...but I think its this one http://www.french-nymphs.com/

Marc Fauvet

« Reply #7 on: 01/09/2016 at 16:55 »
Won't be trying them on running water Mike. Tomorrow is a still water day, hopefully the resident fish approve.

hi Liam,
for sure, there are no rules (yaya !   :z13) and you just might get some interest on still waters with the ceramics  :z16 however, they where designed for rivers and maybe specifically for faster waters or for 'induced take' presentations on slower flows.

basically, they're attractors with minimalist features yet strong triggers, at least as far as the main body of the bug is concerned.
in other words, for waters where fish don't get a lot of time to inspect the imitation and just gulp down whatever might look like food.
older in design as the spannish Perdigonne style of nymphs, both styles predominantly feature a very smooth, hydrodynamic shape which makes them sink very, very quickly without having to weigh a ton to get there.

be sure to let us know how you get along with them  :z16
ps- watch your drifts or you'll lose them all on the bottom  :wink

cheers,
marc

Marc Fauvet

« Reply #8 on: 01/09/2016 at 17:10 »
Is that all thread body, coated with bugbond or equivalent?

hiya,
- they're typically lead wire wrapped on the shank
- then coated with whatever colour of ceramic art paint or a mix thereof. Pébéo seems to be the most popular paint
http://en.pebeo.com/Creative-leisure/Painting-on-China-and-Ceramic/Porcelaine-150-Paint

-  here's a video that shows the process well. its in frog but there isn't much to understand. thing is these paints take about 24hrs to dry so each step needs to be greatly spaced out. the trick is to make dozens at a time  :z16 
https://youtu.be/CX63yU4RTFw

Liam Stephen

« Reply #9 on: 01/09/2016 at 19:06 »
hi Liam,
for sure, there are no rules (yaya !   :z13) and you just might get some interest on still waters with the ceramics  :z16 however, they where designed for rivers and maybe specifically for faster waters or for 'induced take' presentations on slower flows.

basically, they're attractors with minimalist features yet strong triggers, at least as far as the main body of the bug is concerned.
in other words, for waters where fish don't get a lot of time to inspect the imitation and just gulp down whatever might look like food.
older in design as the spannish Perdigonne style of nymphs, both styles predominantly feature a very smooth, hydrodynamic shape which makes them sink very, very quickly without having to weigh a ton to get there.

be sure to let us know how you get along with them  :z16
ps- watch your drifts or you'll lose them all on the bottom  :wink

cheers,
marc

Hey Marc

Some good points there. I did originally buy them for use on the Don but am happy to report the Stillwater trout loved them. I had Blues, Browns and Rainbows on the Ceramics.  Fished at close range to fish foraging in the margins. Pretty bloody deadly if I'm honest! I'll do a wee report with pics in a bit.

Andrew Ellis

« Reply #10 on: 08/09/2016 at 12:21 »
I couldn't be faffed with the lead, painting, baking process so had a play with tungsten and glass beads and UV cure resin last year Liam. They actually worked a treat, especially on the grayling. :z16

Andrew

Bill Wood

« Reply #11 on: 12/10/2016 at 23:23 »
Looks like I could be raiding the wifes nail varnish box.

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #12 on: 14/10/2016 at 09:18 »

I have a fair few identical to this that I use as "maggot" imitations on the river for Grayling. Work a treat!

Also tie up a slightly translucent version and a "dirty orange" one.

I had not thought of colouring and UVing them..thanks for an idea!

Kerry Jordan

« Reply #13 on: 15/10/2016 at 17:50 »
Those nymphs look like "Smarties" for the trout and grayling - brilliant!
What do you use to colour them please?

Brian Wilkinson

« Reply #14 on: 16/10/2016 at 00:14 »
Hi,

From another forum here is the link: http://www.flyfishing.co.uk/fly-tying-patterns-step-step/341441-bead-bugs.html
It comes with all the ingredients.  :z18

By the by I "tied" some of the up earlier, after one or two mishaps with the colour running etc. they started to look good. The rainbows thought so as well but haven't tried them on the Northumberland wbt - yet!

Good luck with them.

Brian.

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com