Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Derek Roxborough

English Salmon river
« on: 14/07/2016 at 21:15 »
 I see the river Tyne is having record runs of Salmon and sea trout , this has happened over the last few years, making it one of the best salmon rivers in the UK, an old book I read had the commercial catches before WW1  over 25,000 fish at one netting station, and there was12 of these on the river, just shows how prolific the salmon was in the old days, easgach 1

gunner100

Re: English Salmon river
« Reply #1 on: 19/07/2016 at 22:13 »
I stay  at a hotel on the banks of the North Tyne for four nights £150 dinner , bed and breakfast  plus  £25  credit to spend in the bar for £150!!
Have been there for the last three years and seen loads of salmon moving but despite trying fly, spinner, worm and bubble and fly  t have caught nowt.

Now here is the really good bit. The hotel has 1 1/2 miles of double bank fishing included in the  £150 . Al you need is a salmon licence  from the Environment Agency   which costs me as a pensioner £18.

Full details available for another £25 to spend at the bar.

Orrabest,

Lyall

Derek Roxborough

« Reply #2 on: 24/07/2016 at 15:01 »
Many years back I had a 4 1/2lb seatrout near Lemington just above the tidal stretch, never fished the tyne since, easgach 1

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #3 on: 25/07/2016 at 11:01 »
Many years back I had a 4 1/2lb seatrout near Lemington just above the tidal stretch, never fished the tyne since, easgach 1

I once witnesses a 5lb Grilse landed from the Tidal Thames at Richmond. That must have been late 70's.

Since then they have caught Sturgeon and Wels catfish there too  :shock

Derek Roxborough

« Reply #4 on: 25/07/2016 at 12:37 »
Aye Rob, but Lemington is on the Tyne,  :z4  easgach 1

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #5 on: 25/07/2016 at 13:30 »
Aye Rob, but Lemington is on the Tyne,  :z4  easgach 1

Lol..I realised that :)

Just thought it might interest someone that other "industrialised" rivers have made a remarkable recovery too :)

Derek Roxborough

« Reply #6 on: 25/07/2016 at 20:27 »
I worked for a company in the 80's that supplied the salmon fry for restocking the Thames ,we put over 1million there, the River tyne now has the reputation of being one of the finest salmon rivers in England  if not the whole of the UK, last year there were over 10 thousand seatrout passing the counters,My first post was raising the point that in the 20's and 30's there was so many salmon caught on the tyne it depressed the price, well below a shilling /lb,. I worked in the Shipyards in the 50's and when they drained the Dry dock there was always salmon in the pools alongside all the other unmentionable stuff  :oops easgach 1

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #7 on: 26/07/2016 at 08:36 »
The biggest issue with the Tyne is Robson Green ;)

I would be interested to know if the figures are based on catch returns or some other indicator. Any ideas?

Derek Roxborough

« Reply #8 on: 26/07/2016 at 12:44 »
Aye , even as a Geordie I would agree with the Robson Greene comment, The fish pass returns were in one of the Fishing mags last year but the 1920's info was in a historical work I read some time back, I do remember seeing the salmon lying in the Dock Bottom, earlier Salmon was so plentiful in the Tyne that it couldn't be served to Apprentices more than twice a week, the commercial info was in a book on the tyne that I stupidly loaned to some one who did not return it, easgach 1

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #9 on: 26/07/2016 at 14:44 »
My thinking is that if the data were from catch returns, the Tyne figures could be skewed in favour of the salmon.

My theory would be that the Tyne is fished by Game anglers and the methods employed are often salmon specific. There are a few other rivers where coarse anglers are the main anglers and often salmon go unreported.

Derek Roxborough

« Reply #10 on: 26/07/2016 at 20:53 »
Aye Rob , but the Tyne has an active restocking programme from its Hatchery at Kielder, also before the netsmen were stopped in the estuary, they were catching so many sea trout that they couldn't get a price for them and that is only 2 years back,the river has made a miraculous recovery, easgach 1

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #11 on: 27/07/2016 at 10:47 »
Aye Rob , but the Tyne has an active restocking programme from its Hatchery at Kielder, also before the netsmen were stopped in the estuary, they were catching so many sea trout that they couldn't get a price for them and that is only 2 years back,the river has made a miraculous recovery, easgach 1

Excellent news then :)

Derek Roxborough

« Reply #12 on: 27/07/2016 at 19:21 »
 :z18  easgach 1

Ali Mcewan

« Reply #13 on: 08/08/2016 at 19:37 »
I see the river Tyne is having record runs of Salmon and sea trout , this has happened over the last few years, making it one of the best salmon rivers in the UK, an old book I read had the commercial catches before WW1  over 25,000 fish at one netting station, and there was12 of these on the river, just shows how prolific the salmon was in the old days, easgach 1

The tyne is my home river, always has 2 or 3 trips down to remind myself what a good salmon river is..
You staying at otterburn or chollerford?   
Dilston , chipchase castle, styford  hall or Bywell are the places if look to fish if I didn't have access to the water below Hexham..
A great river, keep at it..

Derek Roxborough

« Reply #14 on: 08/08/2016 at 23:23 »
It used to be my home river many moons back, easgach 1

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com