Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Liam Stephen

Re: River Deveron 2016
« Reply #15 on: 21/03/2016 at 08:41 »
It's a Sea Trout Kelt according to reliable sources! Not what I was after but at this time of year it's just nice to get a good bend in the rod. It fought well!  :z16

Brownies tomorrow hopefully!

:z18

Allan Liddle

« Reply #16 on: 21/03/2016 at 10:59 »
Didn't happen where I was on Saturday and big shifts of gravel which isn't good for invertebrates.
Saw about four risers with only one a steady one, sadly on the other bank so put the angler over that side onto it.

Going to leave it a couple of weeks and hope the forecast settled weather helps bring the flies and fish on.

Liam Stephen

« Reply #17 on: 21/03/2016 at 11:02 »
You were just above me at one point Allan! I saw your four legged friends  :wink

The beat you were on looks like it could be excellent summertime nymph water!  :z16

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #18 on: 22/03/2016 at 17:18 »
Had another crack at it today.

Again conditions were spot on, although it was 3-4 degrees warmer than last week.

3 Hatches today, one about 11:30, one about 1:30 and another flurry about 2:15.
Each one had March browns and Olives , mostly march browns and at last there were some fish looking for them.

Saw quite a few nice fish moving.

The first hatch brought me this one, just shy of the 2lb mark, once i changed the DHE from a 14 to a 12 and went a bit bigger to match the hatch.

During the main hatch at 1:30 there were a few good fish showing, my next couple both made the pound mark, i missed a couple of much bigger ones and then i latched onto this fella, he led me a dance up and down the river, but eventually i got him in and netted my first TF for 2016, pulled the net down to 3 1/4 but i think come May he could be pushing 4.

The last flurry saw me miss a couple more, but who cares :z3

Great day to be out and i learned a few new things, although i also decided i really do just like fishing dryfly :z12

If this weather stay stable for a few more days, i think the river will just keep getting better, plenty flies today during the hatch, i found this small marina of tiny Brown Yachts in between hatches.

Good luck if you venture out and keep the flies on the bigger side :z8

Sandy

Mike Barrio

« Reply #19 on: 22/03/2016 at 17:40 »
Great stuff Sandy ..... awesome start!  :z16

Allan Liddle

« Reply #20 on: 23/03/2016 at 13:02 »
That's more like it.  Yup Sandy size 12 DHE the go to pattern for the early weeks.

Marc Fauvet

« Reply #21 on: 23/03/2016 at 13:09 »
WE. ALL. HATE. YOU....   :z4 :z4 :z4

Iain Cameron

« Reply #22 on: 24/03/2016 at 12:26 »
nice fishes sandy. I was out the same day.

A brief lift in temperature, a 5 min window of sunshine, a couple of fish bulging, presumably to ascending nymphs, then a very short-lived 5-10min window of olives afloat and trout on the feed up top.  Didn't last long. It was enough to get me off the mark for 2016 with a fine, fat 2.5lber which led me a dance around in the fast water for a while.

Later followed by a slimmer but bonny 2.25lber, and a couple of wee guys.

Action all over by 2.30 more or less when the cloud dropped and it got cold! Next few days look very wet, windy and cold. not ideal!

this was the 2.25lber before its safe return

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #23 on: 24/03/2016 at 19:15 »
I know its short notice, but i have a spare trout ticket for Upper Netherdale for tomorrow.
Anyone fancy joining me, its a tricky beat to get onto and i have the right rotation to be in what should be the right place when the flies start to come off.
Anyone interested, please PM me and i'll get back to you, provided its not too late tonight.
if not i shall just have to go catch the fish on me own :z3

Sandy

Scott Cumming

« Reply #24 on: 24/03/2016 at 19:42 »
I would of taken you up on the offer had I been available... nice beat :z16

I had a cheeky day off work today, conditions were not ideal with fresh winds and showers. Around 12:45 there was a flurry of LDOs and MBs with a few trout looking up, soon after I managed  a 2lber and dropped another. All went quiet for the next couple of hours. At 2:45 the sun peaked through the clouds. I moved to another pool where I spotted a solitary trout feeding at the tail in knee deep water, sipping olives. After a couple of cast he grabbed my dry and bolted off into the pool below, after a good tussle I managed to steer him to the net :z16

Well chuffed to get a hold of a trophy this early in the season. Still very lean but almost hitting the 5lb mark in the weigh net  :z18

Didn't take him too long to get a kick in his tail again :z16

Scott :z18

Liam Stephen

« Reply #25 on: 24/03/2016 at 19:55 »
Scott you are the f*****g man!!  :z16

I'm proper jealous, bet it took one of those Orange body you know what's!?

Fingers crossed I stumble across one of similar size tomorrow.

:z18

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #26 on: 24/03/2016 at 20:30 »
 :z14 Dude! :z18

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #27 on: 25/03/2016 at 07:52 »
Ticket gone :z16

Someone saw the nice day and couldn't help himself :z4

Good luck to all who are out today :z18

Sandy

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #28 on: 25/03/2016 at 17:32 »
Lovely day for it today, although the wind changed direction and started to increase after lunch, it still stayed warm enough for a few sporadic hatches of March browns and Olives, most MB's

It was location specific this afternoon, with two spots seeming to have the action, along the beat, mostly smallish stuff for me, 9-11"

Plenty of them though, so it gave me a chance to play with my new toy, impressed so far with the resolution, once i figure out how to use it properly it should get better still :z16

I did see a couple of big noses poking around the flies though, but they turned out to be Sea-trout Kelts, good sized though and a welcome bend in the rod

Sandy

Mike Barrio

« Reply #29 on: 25/03/2016 at 18:21 »
Great stuff Sandy ...... and nice photos :z16

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com