Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Liam Stephen

Early Season Line/Leaders
« on: 05/02/2016 at 15:14 »
I will be fishing the Don for salmon early doors, Feb-March (killing time til the trout season)  :wink. What would the best poly-leader to use on the following; full floating line and a fast intermediate line??  :z8

I'll be using small flies and am not using a double hander if that helps any!  :z16

Liam

Hamish Young

Re: Early Season Line/Leaders
« Reply #1 on: 05/02/2016 at 15:41 »
Liam you'd be as well using the full range bar the floating poly-leader which I have yet to find a use for outside of teaching.
I'd pick up a full set (maybe without the intermediate, although that does have its uses) and adjust the poly-leader to the speed and depth of the water and where you want the fly to fish, there is no optimal choice of poly-leader or quick solution IMHO.
Don't be tempted by trying to shift overly long poly-leaders, that can be a challenge on a single-hander which I'm guessing is the rod you've got in mind :? Which fly line(s) do you plan on using :?

H :cool:

Liam Stephen

« Reply #2 on: 05/02/2016 at 15:59 »
Hamish great reply thanks for that!  :z16

I've already got a couple of Poly leaders, slow sink and fast sink but will add a couple more. It's the 5ft ones I've got.... What would you say is the better length 5 or 10ft??

Rod is going to be the 686 and line is a SLX  (not a typical set up but I like to be different) :z16

Liam Stephen

« Reply #3 on: 05/02/2016 at 16:03 »
My current intermediate is an airflo sixth sense. Although I may order the SLXi for the occasion as I feel it might be useful  :z16

Hamish Young

« Reply #4 on: 05/02/2016 at 17:00 »
Hamish great reply thanks for that!  :z16

No bother  :z16

I've already got a couple of Poly leaders, slow sink and fast sink but will add a couple more. It's the 5ft ones I've got.... What would you say is the better length 5 or 10ft??

The SLX is the right line for the job, as it happens I use 6ft Rio Spey Versileaders and that's something you should keep an eye on - the breaking strain/rating of your polyleaders.
Personally I would not go as long as 10ft, and heavy works for me.

Rod is going to be the 686 and line is a SLX  (not a typical set up but I like to be different) :z16

That'll certainly be different :!

My current intermediate is an airflo sixth sense. Although I may order the SLXi for the occasion as I feel it might be useful  :z16

Order the SLXi - go for the quick one.

An alternative (not as an intermediate) would be to make up your own custom shooting head/skagit type line. Now that would be interesting.......

Liam Stephen

« Reply #5 on: 05/02/2016 at 17:41 »
I'll have a look for the Rio ones in the local tackle shop, failing that I'll go for the airflo 5ft ones to tide me over.

Tbh honest I'm looking forward to getting out on the river with it! The SLX is awesome on the rod so the SLXi should be juat as  good.

I don't think I have the no how for chopping lines to suit..... It all seems very technical  :z4

:z18
Liam

Hamish Young

« Reply #6 on: 05/02/2016 at 20:16 »
I don't think I have the no how for chopping lines to suit..... It all seems very technical  :z4

It's easy :wink If I can do it then anyone can - would a small piece on how to do it be useful for the forum :?

Liam Stephen

« Reply #7 on: 05/02/2016 at 20:55 »
I'd say so Hamish I will give it a go if it looks like I will manage it!  :z16

Liam

Jeff Donovan

« Reply #8 on: 05/02/2016 at 22:44 »
It's easy :wink If I can do it then anyone can - would a small piece on how to do it be useful for the forum :?

It's what forums are all about, any information is always appreciated.  :z16  :X3

Hamish Young

« Reply #9 on: 06/02/2016 at 07:48 »
I'll see what I can do, have started putting some thoughts down already :wink

Marc Fauvet

« Reply #10 on: 06/02/2016 at 09:54 »
would a small piece on how to do it be useful for the forum :?

yes !  :z16

Hamish Young

« Reply #11 on: 06/02/2016 at 10:05 »
yes !  :z16
I am writing it now........  :wink

Hamish Young

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #13 on: 08/02/2016 at 08:16 »
I will be fishing the Don for salmon early doors, Feb-March (killing time til the trout season)  :wink. What would the best poly-leader to use on the following; full floating line and a fast intermediate line??  :z8

I'll be using small flies and am not using a double hander if that helps any!  :z16

Liam

Have you not got a Switch rod?

I had been using a 9 weight 12' 6" double hander for the Don round Kemney, but found I was having more fun with an 11 foot Switch. With that I was using fast sink 10 foot Polyleaders with a 1 3/4" copper tube. That seemed about right and I would occasionally clip the bottom.

However, I did have a couple of trips with a 7 weight single handed rod and big Sunray Shadows, casting square with a fast sink line and stripping. Had one of two thumps, but ne fish...but it was fun :)

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com