Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Mike Barrio

Fishing Wets
« on: 19/11/2015 at 09:56 »
Fishing traditional wet flies down and across was always a very successful way of catching trout on our local rivers. Greenwells, Black Pennell and Silver Invicta served me very well back in the 90s, although the angle might not have been always down and across. Leaders in those days were usually a level length of nylon and reasonably strong, as it was not uncommon to find yourself attached to a sea trout, or indeed a salmon.

Does anybody fish this way nowadays?

Liam Stephen

Re: Fishing Wets
« Reply #1 on: 19/11/2015 at 11:16 »
Occasionally early season I swing a weighted nymph with a spider or two on the dropper. This quickly stops when I spot a rising fish!  :z4

I did go through a period in 2012 of fishing winged wets. It was after talking to you in the Haddo hut and you told me stories of how effective it was for you. Funnily enough the only two wets I like are a pearly invitca and black pennel.

It is effective but I find it too similar to salmon fishing and boring.

:z18

Mike Barrio

« Reply #2 on: 19/11/2015 at 12:21 »
I can relate to that Liam :cool:

But would that same rising fish take a fly presented 'the old way' I wonder? Perhaps targeting fish with a wet fly, rather than fishing blind could be fun, although less visual of course.

Duncan McRae

« Reply #3 on: 19/11/2015 at 13:33 »
Mike

I still fish this way for night time Sea Trout but if a see a good sized Brown rising I will cover and often take it.
Doesn't seem to work so well during daylight hours.

Duncan

Marc Fauvet

« Reply #4 on: 19/11/2015 at 17:01 »

But would that same rising fish take a fly presented 'the old way' I wonder? Perhaps targeting fish with a wet fly, rather than fishing blind could be fun, although less visual of course.

before changing the fly to a floater i'd always give that a try even with unweighted nymphs.  :z16
as for the visual, unless we're talking about weighted wets (which usually isn't the case) the fly will still be very close to the surface. the visual is there just like when fish are taking in the surface film  :wink

Mike Barrio

« Reply #5 on: 19/11/2015 at 18:34 »
I meant the visual enjoyment of watching your fly floating towards the fish Marc ..... and then watching it disappear.

Agreed, sub surface takes can 'move a bit of water' and keep things fun :cool:

Allan Liddle

« Reply #6 on: 20/11/2015 at 07:17 »
Sometimes if it's been a downstream wind for a few days coupled with good hatches. the fish can actually lock onto the movement of emerging flies as they are moved quicker than the current.  Fishing down and across can be more effective than trying to get drag free drift on dries, Sometimes  :z4

Down and across also a good way to cover water / fish you either can't reach or don't want to disturb by wading,

Derek Roxborough

« Reply #7 on: 20/11/2015 at 21:29 »
you  mean there's another way,I don't fish many streams these days but down and across was how I learned, I stick to trad wets
cos that's  the way I learned, It suits my style  :X2 easgach 1

Barry Robertson

« Reply #8 on: 20/11/2015 at 21:51 »
Ilove a day on the boat pulling wets! Rainbows and browns are a sucker for them  :z16

Mike Barrio

« Reply #9 on: 20/11/2015 at 22:12 »
I love a day on the boat pulling wets! Rainbows and browns are a sucker for them :z16

Yep, was always a good tactic at Haddo Baz :z16

Iain Cameron

« Reply #10 on: 21/11/2015 at 10:25 »
hi mike

very rarely use wet style on a river these days; wouldn't be a first choice tactic. Sometimes after working up a stretch, I might walk/work back downstream sweeping a pair of wets just for fun. It can be a very relaxing way to fish, quite enjoyable for the sake of flicking some flies across the stream with no particular ambition.

Or some days, if the wind is just a complete (downstream) pig, it can be a way to fish without complete frustration.
Did pull some nice trout from a flooded Assynt stream with a couple of wets, it was pleasingly productive!

And wets will always have a place for loch fishing

Marc Fauvet

« Reply #11 on: 21/11/2015 at 12:45 »
for lack of a better term, i'm surprised there's no mention so far of fishing wets either across or upstream.
down and across of course works and works well but i'm also of Oliver Edwards' opinion that wets and spiders are most efficient across and up whether for fishing likely holding areas or for spotted fish.  :z16

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #12 on: 23/11/2015 at 08:19 »
If I am feeling lazy or there is just nothing moving I will fish something like a Silver Invicta, something with a gold body and something with a bit of colour. It often saves the day when its hard going, but it also seems to pick up lots of small fish and kelts.

Mike Barrio

« Reply #13 on: 23/11/2015 at 08:54 »
for lack of a better term, i'm surprised there's no mention so far of fishing wets either across or upstream.
down and across of course works and works well but i'm also of Oliver Edwards' opinion that wets and spiders are most efficient across and up whether for fishing likely holding areas or for spotted fish.  :z16

Very much so Marc .... that's what I meant with "although the angle might not have been always down and across" :z16

Simon Hall

« Reply #14 on: 23/11/2015 at 13:39 »
I had some decent success early in the season using down and across with wets, snipe and purple was a winner.  As the season progressed, not so much (which reinforced how bad my presentation with dry flies is!)

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com