Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Iain Cameron

Re: Fishing Wets New
« Reply #15 on: 24/11/2015 at 08:35 »

Maybe these days someone prospecting upstream and across would use newer styles - klink'n'dink/duo, or fish with emerger patterns that blur the historical line between old skool dry and wet styles?  thus upstream spider technique gets overlooked.

Quote from: Marc Fauvet on 21 November 2015, 12:45:22
for lack of a better term, i'm surprised there's no mention so far of fishing wets either across or upstream.
down and across of course works and works well but i'm also of Oliver Edwards' opinion that wets and spiders are most efficient across and up whether for fishing likely holding areas or for spotted fish.  :z16

Alan Davidson

Re: Fishing Wets
« Reply #16 on: 02/12/2015 at 09:12 »
Regarding Marc's comment about upstream casting. I read somewhere years ago that casting upstream while using wets produced larger trout. I had to try this on the river Deveron as the tight run I was fishing was only accessible from below. I managed 3 trout in 3 casts, the biggest at three and a half pounds. Wickham's Fancy and Greenwell's Glory were the best flies on this beat.

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com