Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Marc Fauvet

Re: Leaders ... sink or float?
« Reply #15 on: 20/11/2015 at 08:21 »
but is that what the trout see from below?  :z3

they're pretty dumb but have good eyesight. its their main  sense to find food, discern what to eat (good=eat bad=reject) and to detect predators. i very much doubt fish have the same vision as ours but its a no brainer when it comes to situations as in the pic above: sunlight causing reflections and shadows, some of those reflections being doubled/mirrored by the surface film etc.
basically, its Disco meets Star Wars laser sword flashy shit that no fish likes  :z4 :z4 :z4

Mike Barrio

« Reply #16 on: 20/11/2015 at 09:14 »
basically, its Disco meets Star Wars laser sword flashy shit that no fish likes  :z4 :z4 :z4

Want this we don't  :z4  :z4  :z4

Marc Fauvet

« Reply #17 on: 20/11/2015 at 15:01 »
The photo shows what we see from above the water, but is that what the trout see from below?  :z3

which reminds me of how eye-opening it is to take some kit to the swimming pool (or in warmer climes   :roll) and see for one's self.
i've done this and highly recommend it. beats doing laps any day...    :z4

Allan Liddle

« Reply #18 on: 20/11/2015 at 15:45 »
I've done this plenty times as well but mostly on running water with a couple of times on lochs; it's called falling in  :z4 :z4

Marc Fauvet

« Reply #19 on: 20/11/2015 at 16:29 »
 :z4 :z4 :z4

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #20 on: 23/11/2015 at 15:00 »
Now that was a bit below the belt  :z4  :z4  :z4

Nice pic :z16
The photo shows what we see from above the water, but is that what the trout see from below?  :z3

Nope....there are some photos somewhere on the interweb thingy of flies from below taken with a camera with an adapt lense to show what fish see. It is very different to what we see.

Some good if not long reading here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vision_in_fishes

I found this very interesting.... "Ultraviolet vision is sometimes used during only part of the life cycle of a fish. For example, juvenile brown trout live in shallow water where they use ultraviolet vision to enhance their ability to detect zooplankton. As they get older, they move to deeper waters where there is little ultraviolet light."

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com