Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Hamish Young

Re: Salmon conservation in Scotland - AKA the "kill licence"
« Reply #30 on: 28/11/2015 at 13:21 »
It all seems very short sighted to me, but maybe I'm not normal....

You are not normal - you go fishing with me through choice FFS......   :X1 :z13

Steven Sinclair

« Reply #31 on: 28/11/2015 at 22:11 »
I have a sneaking suspicion that I high percentage of those who SAY that they would stop fishing the water in fact wouldn't stop fishing it.

It's one thing to say that's it but I reckon a good few just like to moan for the sake of moaning but soon get over it when they realise it's cnr or no fishing (that river).

:z18

Steven.

Euan Innes

« Reply #32 on: 28/11/2015 at 23:40 »
You are not normal - you go fishing with me through choice FFS......   :X1 :z13

FFS you are correct!!!
But you have to admit our preferences once the fish is ashore have changed mate. The blood lust has gone and the marvel that "hooked" us in our "youth" :z4 has returned and the "tug is the drug" has taken over. Too many " for my liking but you see where I am going with this?

Steven,
I suspect that you will be right and most will suck it up and fish, but the possibility of "dead mans shoes" vacancies appearing on rivers peaks my curiosity, especially where you live now. The South Esk beats near Montrose are great by the way and we must discuss next year over a pint some Sunday :wink

:z1

Derek Roxborough

« Reply #33 on: 29/11/2015 at 15:02 »
 Any one watching Landward the other night? the guy on the river Earn gave a good take on the their attitude to the proposals and   why there should be a rethink on the whole idea, easgach 1

Steven Sinclair

« Reply #34 on: 29/11/2015 at 22:14 »

Steven,
I suspect that you will be right and most will suck it up and fish, but the possibility of "dead mans shoes" vacancies appearing on rivers peaks my curiosity, especially where you live now. The South Esk beats near Montrose are great by the way and we must discuss next year over a pint some Sunday :wink

Unfortunately the house fell through Euan but i'm still Stonehaven based so hardly a million miles away! I'd be keen to investigate fishing on the Esks as i've only fished them once or twice and I doubt I was even in double digits back then. (auld man edfish can maybe confirm?)

Speaking of him, once again one of his kids has kindly decided to have a child during prime Salmon time (my sister first week of September last year) and I again at the end of February, so he'll no doubt be keen to catch up and head for a cast with you presumably the end of Feb start of March if you are free?

I'm sure the Mrs will let me sneak out also, as the baby will need it's head wetting. Whisky and Salmon fishing go hand in hand  :wink

Steven.

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #35 on: 30/11/2015 at 12:55 »
Any one watching Landward the other night? the guy on the river Earn gave a good take on the their attitude to the proposals and   why there should be a rethink on the whole idea, easgach 1

I did...and like many things, the whole Marine Scotland and Scottish Governments case was built on shaky foundations.

Although catches can be used in conjunction with other data to get an informed picture, using just catch data to determine the "health" of a river is wrong. And then to compare that river with what is effectively a spate river as the "control" river, well.....

Derek Roxborough

« Reply #36 on: 30/11/2015 at 21:34 »
this reform bill is supposed to be science based, but what sort of scientists it didn't say, , easgach 1

Euan Innes

« Reply #37 on: 01/12/2015 at 18:12 »
Unfortunately the house fell through Euan but i'm still Stonehaven based so hardly a million miles away! I'd be keen to investigate fishing on the Esks as i've only fished them once or twice and I doubt I was even in double digits back then. (auld man edfish can maybe confirm?)

Speaking of him, once again one of his kids has kindly decided to have a child during prime Salmon time (my sister first week of September last year) and I again at the end of February, so he'll no doubt be keen to catch up and head for a cast with you presumably the end of Feb start of March if you are free?

I'm sure the Mrs will let me sneak out also, as the baby will need it's head wetting. Whisky and Salmon fishing go hand in hand  :wink

Steven.

Stoney is not that far away from Montrose. Kinnaird is about 20 minutes for you (If you drive like me and I suspect you do... :wink)
I will try and be free around March but who knows with this business  :z4

FFS, could you not look at a calander before you go for more kids! At least wait two more months because the Dee is much better around May, as is the North Esk.  :z4 :z4 :z4

Ahh now, this whisky thing sounds appealing :z18

Hamish Young

« Reply #38 on: 15/12/2015 at 18:01 »
Have had some very interesting discussions with those involved in fisheries management directly (employed by fishery boards/trusts) and indirectly (government or advisory bodies) and representatives from other clubs locally, the consensus seems to be that this all seems more up in the air than ever  :X1

Less than satisfactory, the new Salmon season starts soon in some rivers and yet the exact details of what is happening where is yet to be formally announced.
In some places this could have dire consequences for some clubs.

:z10

Hamish Young

« Reply #39 on: 19/01/2016 at 18:00 »
More reading folks.....

http://www.gov.scot/Resource/0049/00491330.pdf

I hear that there's muckle grumblings in high places in Edinburgh......  :z8

H

Mike Thornton

« Reply #40 on: 21/01/2016 at 21:34 »
   Probably stems from MSP'S  representing Cat 3 areas getting complaints from clubs, associations, riparian owners etc.  There have been whispers of proposals to submit inflated catch returns with a view to escaping from Cat 3. 
   Fishery boards are required to co-operate with Holyrood's  recommendations. As it stands,  if things remain unresolved it will be too late to make changes to current rules or guidelines this season  after beats are booked, or permits sold.
    There is a simple solution to all of this.    Make it statutory catch and release for all wild migratory fish throughout Scotland, including those rivers which border Englandshire...........All sorted !

Mike Barrio

« Reply #41 on: 21/01/2016 at 23:00 »
There is a simple solution to all of this.    Make it statutory catch and release for all wild migratory fish throughout Scotland, including those rivers which border Englandshire...........All sorted !

"Keep it simple" ............ works for most things in life in my experience :z16

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com