Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

William Dryland

Vision Keeper ISO float tube
« on: 08/09/2015 at 23:01 »
I have just won one of these in a competition and would like some advice on safe use and or training on how to use the float tube

Jim Eddie

Re: Vision Keeper ISO float tube
« Reply #1 on: 09/09/2015 at 09:55 »
Wullie
Best advice I can give is always walk backwards getting into and coming out of the water. The amount of people you see falling over trying to walk forward wearing fins is unbelievable  :z4

Also some good advice on here

http://www.bfta.org.uk/good-practice-guidelines

:z18

Jim 

William Dryland

« Reply #2 on: 09/09/2015 at 20:04 »
Hiya Jim
Thanks for the advice, I am sure the first time will still be a bit scary

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #3 on: 10/09/2015 at 07:45 »
Only advice I can offer is always wear a lifejacket (not buoyancy aid) and make sure it is an auto inflate and serviced.

The rest tends to be common sense such as get a weather report before heading out on bigger waters, don't reach out to land a fish, bring it to you and so on.

Allan Liddle

« Reply #4 on: 10/09/2015 at 09:30 »
Only advice I can offer is always wear a lifejacket (not buoyancy aid) and make sure it is an auto inflate and serviced.

The rest tends to be common sense such as get a weather report before heading out on bigger waters, don't reach out to land a fish, bring it to you and so on.
[/quote

Agree with both Jim and Sandy's advice, have used a tube for many years now and can say you'll have some great days fishing from it.  No loch too big or deep either, but keep an eye on the weather, it's a long walk home if you're stuck on the wrong bank.
My worry in the tube is if there's a lot of boats about as they can struggle to see you when motoring full speed.  Also the automatic lifejacket has been known to go off accidentally when it's a big wave and really wet, I prefer a manual but each to tier own and admit an automatic can be a little safer (you can't inflate a manual if you're unconscious)

Watch out for cramp first few times as you'll be using leg muscles you didn't know you had and really watch out for the bladder buster, I can predict with certain you will need to pee when sitting half in the water and holding on too long really hurts  :z4

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #5 on: 11/09/2015 at 14:14 »
Also the automatic lifejacket has been known to go off accidentally when it's a big wave and really wet,

I think Hamish wrote a bit about auto lifejackets on here once. He knows a wee bit about them :)

The mechanics of a modern auto system means that it is extremely unlikely to go off in heavy rain, even a monsoon and water spray.  Water has to dissolve a "plug" before the gas is operated. That plug is protected from rain etc by being tucked up inside. It needs submersion for a few seconds to work. There is still a toggle incase it does not go off.

Manual is great if you are conscious, not panicking and can find the toggle :)

If Hamish could put up a link to the correct use and wearing of Lifejackets that would be great !

Will Shaw

« Reply #6 on: 11/09/2015 at 18:17 »
My main piece of advice is:

No matter how recently you went, ALWAYS go to the loo immediately before launching.

... maybe I should clarify. I mean immediately before zipping up, readjusting the waders, and stepping into the tube.  :X2

Peter McCallum

« Reply #7 on: 14/09/2015 at 19:59 »
Try to get out with other tubers for your first few times if you can. easier if someone is there to 'hold your hand' so to speak. Oh and  do go to the loo before entering  the water..........  twice  :z4 :z4 :z4

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com