Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Skyeman

Ythan Estuary
« on: 31/08/2015 at 08:26 »
 Is the Ythan Estuary worth fishing? I see there are a ridiculous amount of seals living in the area, but it looks an amazing place. Was thinking about giving it a go with sandeel patterns etc, or would I be flogging a dead horse? Also can you fish it from a boat, or is bank battery?

Thanks in advance.

Mike Barrio

Re: Ythan Estuary
« Reply #1 on: 31/08/2015 at 10:45 »
Hi 'Skyeman'

"Is the Ythan Estuary worth fishing?" ....... Yes, of course, everywhere is worth fishing.

Are you likely to get replies saying what a great place it is to fish? ...... Very unlikely on the forum, for all the same reasons that members explained to you in the Grayling thread.

There used to be boats available from the estate with a ghillie, I'm not sure what the current situation is, bank fishing is also available.

Best wishes
Mike

Skyeman

« Reply #2 on: 31/08/2015 at 10:54 »
 Crikey, its cloak and dagger on here! lol. Its a big estuary, a poacher can@t do any damage to it. I was only asking in terms of would there be  a decent chance of catching a seatrout or two, or is it pretty devoid with the amount of seals in residence. I haven't got many days so just trying to do a little bit of planning. Flyfishing only of course.

Mike Barrio

« Reply #3 on: 31/08/2015 at 11:04 »
If I remember correctly, I think the Sea Trout catches usually tailor off towards the end of August.

Contact Audrey Forbes-Clarke, she should be able to offer you current information.
See http://www.fishpal.com/Scotland/BanffAndBuchan/NewburghFishings/?dom=Pal

Best wishes
Mike

Skyeman

« Reply #4 on: 31/08/2015 at 11:16 »
 Thank you Mike. I'll have a look at that, thankyou. I'd like to have a chance of one, but the wildlife looks pretty nice there too.

Mike Barrio

« Reply #5 on: 31/08/2015 at 11:28 »
Since you have limited time, I would explore the possibility of a boat with ghillie. The ghillie will have invaluable knowledge of the tides and channels and when it is best to fish where :wink

Best wishes
Mike

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #6 on: 31/08/2015 at 11:34 »
Crikey, its cloak and dagger on here! lol.

Not at all...I recommend fishing in the water, preferably when fish are there :)

I cannot help as I do not fish it, but I know the ADAA have a beat and that is available to members.

Skyeman

« Reply #7 on: 31/08/2015 at 11:53 »
Since you have limited time, I would explore the possibility of a boat with ghillie. The ghillie will have invaluable knowledge of the tides and channels and when it is best to fish where :wink

Best wishes
Mike

I'm going to make a few enquiries in regards to the boat and ghille, that sounds a good idea for a day..... worth the money I would think. Be exciting to try somewhere a bit different.

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com