Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Simon Hall

Matching the Hatch-if you can see them!
« on: 07/08/2015 at 22:53 »
I was out on the Don at Inverurie tonight, and I could do with some advice regarding 'matching the hatch'! There was a definite rise this evening where some trout were supping at the surface, some were jumping, and decent fish too-not just the tiddlers. I couldn't see what was emerging, and suspect they were quite small, but after throwing everything I had at them I had not even a nibble.  I think my presentation was ok as it wasn't scaring them off - I tried 16/18 black klinkhammers, greewells, black spiders, silver sedges, sherry and orange spinners, but nothing.  This isn't the first time I've seen this, I know that's how fishing goes, and as you can probably gather I'm not the most experienced angler. If anyone can give me advice I'd be more than greatful!

Derek Roxborough

Re: Matching the Hatch-if you can see them!
« Reply #1 on: 08/08/2015 at 12:00 »
been there seen that , what the trout were rising to was small red  flying ants , but nothing I could find even came close, there are times when nothing works, no matter what you do , easgach 1

Marc Fauvet

« Reply #2 on: 08/08/2015 at 12:47 »
"I couldn't see what was emerging"

Louis is showing how to find out what's on the bottom but you can simply skim the surface to find out what's emerging.
hope this helps.
chers,
marc

ps- option B is to start swinging or stripping streamers straight across. the fish aren't keying in on prey fish but they're in feeding mode and it's rare that a streamer won't pull in at least a fish or two when all else fails...   :wink

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #3 on: 09/08/2015 at 07:07 »
Sye

Try drifting a team of small black buzzers 16/18's possibly even 20's if you happen across this again. I've come across it before and it is something that I've had experience of at Inverurie  in particular, many times. I caught fish using the buzzers when all else had failed to provoke some sort of response, the fish are often "smutting" which basically means taking tiny black flies and not just smuts.
If you were fishing the rays, red bridge or the bridge stream then almost definately I'd say it was tiny buzzers hatching and the fish were taking the nymphs, the jumps often occur due to the momentum of the fish as they chase the ascending buzzers up through the water.
Fish them like you would on a Stillwater in a pair and just subsurface on the drift, hopefully it works :z16

Sandy

Mike Barrio

« Reply #4 on: 09/08/2015 at 11:13 »
........... and wee black spiders :z3

Simon Hall

« Reply #5 on: 10/08/2015 at 09:06 »
Great advice guys, much appreciated.  I couldn't skim the water as they were feeding in a line quite far out from the bank (and too deep to wade) .  I hadn't thought about the buzzers or streamers but now have a few more black ones in my fly box for next time!  I had tried a small black spider, but I suspect it was too heavily dressed, so need to get my vice out and give a thin one a go.  :z14

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com