Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Euan Innes

Tarvie loch
« on: 02/08/2015 at 22:43 »
I am apparently going to Tarvie lochs by Garve on Thursday with a friend (don't ask why when I am staying on the banks of the Spey) so can anyone give me a heads up on what to expect?
Browns , Rainbows? The website has pretty pictures but no real info. Pictures of boats but bank only prices!?
Might be a heaven or hell trip but fishing is fishing! On the Dee on Saturday so it might be a good distraction :z4
Report to follow....

:z1

Hamish Young

Re: Tarvie loch
« Reply #1 on: 03/08/2015 at 08:28 »
Supposed to be in a very bonnie location, fish are likely to be stocked 'bows and some frightened browns.
Not a water I know - nor do I know anyone who has fished it recently - but it once had a good reputation which I am told is no longer merited. Stoneyfield I am told is better.
Coming from Speyside I think you and Billy(?) could perhaps do better but understand the choice may be necessary one.

H :cool:

Euan Innes

« Reply #2 on: 03/08/2015 at 12:07 »
Yes Billy and yes, his idea, he fished it recently and raved about it so who am I to disagree.
You never know it might be the mutts nuts!

Derek Roxborough

« Reply #3 on: 03/08/2015 at 15:00 »
I pass it fairly regularly but I have never fished it,there are far too many   hill lochs around I thought it was up for sale,I know it's popular with a lot of the inverness fishers, easgach 1

Euan Innes

« Reply #4 on: 03/08/2015 at 19:18 »
I guess I will find out the hard way! I will let you all know when I get back.

Euan Innes

« Reply #5 on: 07/08/2015 at 09:06 »
Still don't know what Tarvie is like because we went to Rothiemurcus instead for a couple of hours.  :z4
All a bit strange to me standing between bait fishers and kids but still had a great time. Sixteen fish in two hours then a couple of pints in the Old Brig, one more in the Cairngorm and then the bus back to Boat of Garten.
And it was free!

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #6 on: 07/08/2015 at 13:05 »
All a bit strange to me standing between bait fishers and kids but still had a great time.

I hope you bonked them over the head and threw them up the bank ;)

Euan Innes

« Reply #7 on: 07/08/2015 at 17:07 »
Unfortunately it is mandatory c&r on bait bashers Rob.
It was however the busiest fishery I have ever seen. Between the bait pond for kids that really coins it in to the shared ponds and the fly only pond there must have been 100 people there yesterday. Good on them for making it commercially viable and leavingthe good stuff for us.

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com