Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Mike Barrio

Is Your Fly Fishing Solitary or Sociable?
« on: 23/07/2015 at 12:45 »
Which do you enjoy more, fishing by yourself, or fishing with friends :?

Steven Sinclair

Re: Is Your Fly Fishing Solitary or Sociable?
« Reply #1 on: 23/07/2015 at 12:59 »
Hmm that's a tough one for me Mike.

I'd personally say both. I love weekends away fishing with mates or my dad. Sat round a camp fire, beer in hand, shooting the shit and getting away from it all. Similarly the craic in the bothies on the Dee sharing the same regurgitated stories season after season never seems to get old (again the alcohol consumption may be a significant factor).

On the other hand since moving overseas I have come to enjoy the solitude and escape from the rat race and pressures of work. Now when I've been out fishing along with someone it feels like I havnt had my full day of me time if that makes any sense?

Cheers,

Steven

Mike Barrio

« Reply #2 on: 23/07/2015 at 18:02 »
Personally, I prefer to go fishing with friends :cool:

We usually spread out a bit for the actual fishing part of the day/evening, but sharing the river with good company is just as important as the fishing for me.

Cheers
Mike

Jim Eddie

« Reply #3 on: 23/07/2015 at 20:12 »
Basically what Steven said  :wink Sometimes I like the social aspect, other times I like a bit of solitude.

:z18

Jim 

Mike Barrio

« Reply #4 on: 23/07/2015 at 23:24 »
It is perhaps possible that I think of this differently because I work from home and therefore work alone ...... interesting :cool:

Cheers
Mike

Marc Fauvet

« Reply #5 on: 24/07/2015 at 09:16 »
interesting topic, Mike !

i see the with and without friends separately with no real preference between the two.

-with friends, the fishing is still there of course but it takes lesser importance than when by myself. chatting, taking pictures (when i remember...  :roll ), watching/analysing how they cast, fish, talking techniques and stuff all mixed in with jokes and the general good humour that happens with friends combine to make it a great experience by the water.
the flip-side to that is there's usually some kid of time-frames that need to be met: r/v, lunch/dinner times, they often have family or other engagements they need to include in their day, etc, etc, etc.
basically, when fishing with friends i usually have to 'work around them'. i hope that makes sense ?

- when fishing solo which an easy 95% of the time, i know when i leave and play it completely by ear as to what i do or when when i come back.
i fish better and tend to catch bigger and/or more difficult to catch fish when by myself. i'm more concentrated  and more determined to try to break that particular day's code. i guess it comes down to having less distractions. (for lack of a better word)

either way, being by the water is always great so once again, no preference  :z16
cheers,
marc

Eddie Sinclair

Re: Is Your Fly Fishing Solitary or Sociable? New
« Reply #6 on: 24/07/2015 at 09:51 »
As my son Steven says the craic fishing with friends is great and I thoroughly enjoy fishing remote lochs with the boys camping wild fishing and talking nonsense over a dram or three. Also I tend to agree with Marc, I probably fish harder and am more effective if on my own however on my own is subjective these days as I don't often fish on my own but I do often fish on beats where I am on my own until we meet at the hut after fishing and I thoroughly enjoy both. But if I had to pick a favourite it would be in the boat on Calladail with Steven in Durness with a light south westerly and a massive buzzer hatch in the gloaming late on a June night. Now that is something that cannot be beaten for me.

Eddie. :z18

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com