Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

bothier

stickleback immitations
« on: 13/07/2015 at 22:09 »
Hello everyone,my first post and sorry but its a question.
My local water (brownies)has  been fishing well till last week, this has been a feature of the water for a few years now. A fellow angler hooked and returned a nice fish which spat out a load of sticklebacks.Thinking about this I wondered if at this time of year they switch to taking them instead of dries.I tried a few ugly looking lures with no success and wondered if anyone had a favourite stickleback lure. 

Hamish Young

Re: stickleback immitations
« Reply #1 on: 13/07/2015 at 22:16 »
Welcome to the forum  :z16

For me it has to be one of these: Polystickle, Mrs Simpson or Sinfoils Fry..... but I am quite 'old school' in that respect. More modern patterns abound (I am sure) but these are tried and tested patterns for me  :z13

H :cool:

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #2 on: 14/07/2015 at 07:51 »
Polystickle has to be high on the list, but I found a Peach coloured Babydoll worked wonders when the trout were hitting fry/sticklbacks. No idea why, but it regularly out fished more imitive patterns.

Another  really easy one to tie is made with an olive zonker strip for a back and a fat dubbed gold rear body with red throat. Simple but can be deadly.

bothier

Re: stickleback immitations New
« Reply #3 on: 15/07/2015 at 22:24 »
Thanks for the tips I'll be giving the polystickle a go this weekend I'll put some pics of my massive catch on  :z4
Still learning to use the forum so please bear with me,two fish with a stickleback imitation,just to confound me when I cleaned them they were both stuffed with caddis cases. 

Hamish Young

« Reply #4 on: 16/07/2015 at 09:26 »
Awesome  :z16

Derek Roxborough

« Reply #5 on: 19/07/2015 at 22:38 »
 the Peter Ross was considered to be a small stickle back representation, a silver Invicta does just as well, easgach 1

bothier

« Reply #6 on: 20/07/2015 at 21:53 »
I've somehow managed to upload a pic to a previous post via the edit function,I apologise "must try harder" :   I'll get there eventually

Marc Fauvet

« Reply #7 on: 21/07/2015 at 09:19 »
please "try less"...
 images of dead wild browns  ? no, thank you.

Mike Barrio

« Reply #8 on: 21/07/2015 at 11:11 »
Yes, sorry John, I'll put something about this in the 'Adding Photos To Forum Posts' thread ....... it has become a sort of unspoken rule on the forum over the years and I should make this clear to new members :oops

http://www.fishingthefly.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=5254.0

Best wishes
Mike

Derek Roxborough

« Reply #9 on: 21/07/2015 at 20:37 »
wasn't it Lee Wulff who said Game fish are too valuable to be caught only once? easgach 1

bothier

« Reply #10 on: 22/07/2015 at 20:27 »
Sorry marc I'll refrain from posting the deid yins. How about cooked ones,would that be more acceptable  :?  More seriously I only take what myself and my wife will eat, there's  no freezer full of fish.

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com