Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Rob Brownfield

How to fish a Sunray Shadow
« on: 11/06/2015 at 14:34 »
So just how are they fished?

I have only fished them skated across the top and have had some great fun with Salmon chasing them but invariably missing them. As I am getting old these days, I need to find a less exciting method!! :)

I have heard of people fishing them deep, others with a cone head, some under the surface...just wondering peoples thoughts.

Kev Graham

Re: How to fish a Sunray Shadow
« Reply #1 on: 11/06/2015 at 16:40 »
I fished them on full floater or int head and slow sink tip. Always single hooks, fished 60 - 45deg

Only one way for me, fast and super fast strips.

I find i never (or extremely rarely) miss a salmon take as when they want them, they have them. I assume this is due to the speed i am retrieving and not giving them a chance to think about it. Trout are more likely to come up short or pluck. If so, i cut back the hairwing a little or go smaller. I find i only ever catch belters of trout with them, 1lb class and above, never under. They cover options for salmon,  sea & browns.

My most successful pattern for trout or salmon without doubt, regardless of water height or temparature. I fish them from Feb to Oct. Standard black and white in 2- 6inch (inc wing).

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #2 on: 12/06/2015 at 07:24 »
Many thanks for the reply. I also fish them fast :) but I wonder if I miss a few because I am on the surface rather than just under. Even with Pike and rainbows I tend to find that they sometimes don't stay hooked up on a stripped surface fly.

I also tend to fish with small singles that maybe need refined a little to increase hook ups.

Such a fun method :)

Hamish Young

« Reply #3 on: 12/06/2015 at 09:18 »
Interesting reading. For me the key is getting the fly well down, if the fly fishes close or on the top (in my experience) the sport is more visual rather than 'physical' but get that fly down a bit and the number of fish that take solidly improves greatly.
I fish either a double or very big single hook at business end, I'm currently liking the Nordic singles very much :z16

H :cool:

Kev Graham

« Reply #4 on: 12/06/2015 at 10:52 »
Agree, size 6 singles......i use the patriot tube singles

Sunrays are plastic, never weighted

I prefer the sunrays to be on the surface. Both my springers this year have came on surface monkeys stripped fast........March / May, in both cooling / cold temps in late evening / dusk.

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #5 on: 15/06/2015 at 08:12 »
Interesting reading. For me the key is getting the fly well down, if the fly fishes close or on the top (in my experience) the sport is more visual rather than 'physical' but get that fly down a bit and the number of fish that take solidly improves greatly.
I fish either a double or very big single hook at business end, I'm currently liking the Nordic singles very much :z16

When you say well down, are you talking sinking lines?? I have fished them from bottom to top and all my takes were off the top. Admittedly I do not have a fishing diary with an abundance of salmon entered into it, but I had 7 fish in total on the bank with perhaps another 10-15 fish that were hooked and lost or slashed at the fly.

Time to start playing me thinks.

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #6 on: 15/06/2015 at 08:15 »
On the issue of hooks, I find the Nordic's and Patriots overly thick and rather poorly made compared to similar sized Gamakatsus, Owners and even carp hooks.

Since swapping to hooks other than Partridge, hook holds seem better and hook up rates have improved.

Hamish Young

« Reply #7 on: 15/06/2015 at 08:56 »
When you say well down, are you talking sinking lines??

Either a floater or slow sink line, typically a shooting head, with a long superfast sink or (shorter) 'T' tip. The 'T' tips cane be clunky to cast but are super effective.
I have experimented with a fast sinking shooting head and a Sunray but, if I'm honest, was fishing water I knew held no fish - it was more casting practice than anything else - but I can see mileage in trying it out again as we are currently being 'blessed' with loads of 'big' nice cold water from the hydro systems  :roll

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #8 on: 15/06/2015 at 10:30 »
Either a floater or slow sink line, typically a shooting head, with a long superfast sink or (shorter) 'T' tip. The 'T' tips cane be clunky to cast but are super effective.
I have experimented with a fast sinking shooting head and a Sunray but, if I'm honest, was fishing water I knew held no fish - it was more casting practice than anything else - but I can see mileage in trying it out again as we are currently being 'blessed' with loads of 'big' nice cold water from the hydro systems  :roll

Interesting indeed. Stripped fast or left to swing?

This video is interesting as they fish a Sunray sub surface but mention they would prefer it on top. Often the Salmon come up and hit what is effectively a static/slow fly.

Hamish Young

« Reply #9 on: 15/06/2015 at 20:52 »
Stripped :! :! :! :!

Jeff Donovan

« Reply #10 on: 25/06/2015 at 01:41 »
I've watched a dvd by Henrik Mortensen fishing some rivers in Iceland while using a Sunray Shadow. (Cracking The Code - Hooking a Salmon). He adopts both methods of fishing this lure, as a Hitch fly, on the surface & as a sunk lure, both methods being effective on both single & double-handed rods.  :z18

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #11 on: 25/06/2015 at 08:35 »
Well so far this year, I have had one sea trout briefly hooked on a stripped one a few inches under the surface...and that's been it. Its not through lack of trying!!

Jeff Donovan

« Reply #12 on: 26/06/2015 at 03:21 »
An article in here (I've no connection with the distributor) with some Icelandic salmon fishing using the Sunray as a hitch fly.
http://www.fin-chasers.com/#1

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com