Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Alan Davidson

Dry fly fishing help
« on: 11/06/2015 at 09:37 »
Hello
Can anyone please give me some tips/advice on dry fly fishing?
I have fished the fly for a long time on the Deveron which was a fast flowing rocky stretch, always wet flies.
The beat of the Don I am now fishing is slow and I think a different ball game?
Do the fish have to be rising for the dry or is that a bonus?
Do you only use 1 fly at a time as opposed to 2 or 3 like I do for wets?
What is the best tippet strength for dries?
I think that is it for now but sure there will be more.
Thanks and regards

Alan

Rob Brownfield

Re: Dry fly fishing help
« Reply #1 on: 11/06/2015 at 11:48 »
Quick reply, as others are far more accomplished with the dry fly than I am, but I have caught a few.

I am fishing my dries in fast, rocky stretches of the Don, not the smooth glides. The smooth glides seem to have a lot of small fish whilst I have found that the bigger fish perhaps prefer a bit more cover...although they do move out to the glides as it gets dark.

If fishing glides in the evening I tend to use 3 small spiders cast upstream rather than the dry, unless I see confident fish feeding on dries.

When using dries I fish one fly or "Klink and Dink" if wanting to fish a small nymph underneath.

Normally I will sit and watch the water, looking for a rising fish, but I will search water with Klink and Dink if nothing is moving.

Sometimes I will pick a run if I see no fish and use a big bushy fly or terrestrial (hawthorn fly just now) as they can pull trout up. I will cast these into pockets, seams and runs.

I currently use 4.9lb Frog Hair Copolymer which is fine for its strength. 0.15mm So far this has been the best line I have used.

I am sure someone else will be along to give a more expert opinion but the above has worked extremely well for me this year for numbers and a good average size.

I tend to use a 4 weight outfit with a Barrio SLX. If it is really windy I switch to a 5 weight outfit.

Alan Davidson

« Reply #2 on: 11/06/2015 at 13:35 »
Thanks for your help Rob.
I agree what yer saying about the faster rocky water, unfortunately the beat I fish has only slow water.
I did see a few decent fish rise on Monday when I was down but it was very bright and hot which I'm led to believe is not ideal conditions.
My dad always went mostly in the evenings with  good results so I think I'll start the evening shift.
It will be a learning curve also reading a new stretch of water, finding the best lies.
Not sure if Salmon or Sea trout but there was a run of something on Monday when I was there. I could see the wakes of the fish as they moved upstream and did see 1 pretty big Salmon splash but whether running or resident in the pool not sure?
Thanks again

Alan

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #3 on: 11/06/2015 at 14:03 »
Hi Alan

My name is sandy and I'm a dryfly addict :z4

Seriously though , I think we all do things slightly differently so you will get different ideas, try them all and see what suits you :z16

I fish a 5wt outfit with a 4x tippet/tapered leader and very rarely fish anything other than a single size 12 or 14 fly. I'm always hunting down the bigger ones and you will find them near features in the river, even on slower
stretches. Rocks , trees, even weed will provide some structure that affects the current and brings food to the fish, so look for creases in the water or any disturbances that will help track the fish down :z16
Be as quiet and low profile as you can be not to spook them, the clear water just now has the fish pretty jumpy a bit of colour and the fish get more confident.
The last few evenings the better fish haven't started till after 1030 and are still sucking down small caddis after midnight. A size 14 CDC and elk has been pretty good for me although it's not quite what they are after but they will take it in the darkness eventually :X2
Lots of watching will help and there are fish taking small olives early evening so a small DHE 14/16 or similar dry like a greenwells, grey duster or hares ear may also work.
Drag is your biggest issue :X1 with dryfly, so work on casting that introduces a bit of slack, wiggling the rod tip during the fwd cast is the easiest way and that will help.

Have fun, keep your eyes and ears peeled and take your time, it's worth it, but be careful it's addictive :z7

Cheers

Sandy

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #4 on: 11/06/2015 at 14:30 »
See...I hoped Sandy would come along and guide us all. I now know his secret evening fly!! Muuuhahahahaha!  :z14

Colin Sunley

« Reply #5 on: 11/06/2015 at 17:16 »
Word of caution when Night fishing, watch your step when treading through the fields.
I sprained my ankle on Tuesday Night, But those that know me and have fished with me know I have a habit of finding hidden holes and often disappear from sight.  :X1 :X1 .

Alan Davidson

« Reply #6 on: 12/06/2015 at 07:10 »
Thank you Sandy for your help also.
I will try different flies etc and will get familiar with this beat as I have only been down a couple of times.
Not out for bags of fish as my philosophy has always been if I get one its a bonus and some of the best days have been blankers, make sense?
Sometimes I do sit and watch the water and see what's going on.
Most of my gear is 7-8, maybe come down a touch also for dry's?
As for casting, well for I haven't fished hardly in the last 8 years and my casting ability has gone downhill also, so the snaking cast is par for the course just now!

Thanks again for your help which I really appreciate.

Alan

Alan Davidson

« Reply #7 on: 12/06/2015 at 07:13 »
Cosun, Thank you also.
I think it will be a wee while before I fish till dark.
I only went fishing twice last year and fell flat while walking through waist high weeds and nettles on the bank, why I didn't get stung it beats me?

Thanks again

Alan

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com