Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Hamish Young

W B Currie - passed away
« on: 10/06/2015 at 19:44 »
I read this evening that William (Bill) Currie passed away this week, he had suffered from failing health in recent years.

When I was a lad I met Bill on several occasions when he fished both the Eilt and Shiel systems - waters I frequented a lot - and I once spent a very enjoyable evening Sea Trout fishing with him and my Dad as his 'younger young guest' on the River Shiel. He even bought some of my dapping flies the next day. I would love to say that we stayed in touch but we didn't.
However I remember him as a kind man keen to pass on the knowledge he had to others, his enthusiasm for the sport was infectious and when I grew up a bit that was there for me (and anyone else to see) in his writings on the sport.

I maintain that his 'Days and Nights of Game Fishing' should be in the library of every keen Salmon and Sea Trout fisher.
I've not read 'The River Within' but my Dad tells me it's a good read, I'll look it up.

I'll raise a glass to him and to Moc Morgan (who passed away in late May) at the weekend.

H

Peter McCallum

Re: W B Currie - passed away
« Reply #1 on: 11/06/2015 at 13:02 »
Jings I didn't think he was still alive H. He was a staple of trout and salmon when I was growing up. RIP

Allan Liddle

Re: W B Currie - passed away
« Reply #2 on: 14/06/2015 at 09:20 »
I read this evening that William (Bill) Currie passed away this week, he had suffered from failing health in recent years.

When I was a lad I met Bill on several occasions when he fished both the Eilt and Shiel systems - waters I frequented a lot - and I once spent a very enjoyable evening Sea Trout fishing with him and my Dad as his 'younger young guest' on the River Shiel. He even bought some of my dapping flies the next day. I would love to say that we stayed in touch but we didn't.
However I remember him as a kind man keen to pass on the knowledge he had to others, his enthusiasm for the sport was infectious and when I grew up a bit that was there for me (and anyone else to see) in his writings on the sport.

I maintain that his 'Days and Nights of Game Fishing' should be in the library of every keen Salmon and Sea Trout fisher.
I've not read 'The River Within' but my Dad tells me it's a good read, I'll look it up.

I'll raise a glass to him and to Moc Morgan (who passed away in late May) at the weekend.

H

Well said H, i'll do likewise with the toast.
Days and Nights was one of the first fishing books I bought and still a cracking wee fishing read.

Allan

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com