Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Sandy Nelson

potential problem with Eels?
« on: 27/05/2015 at 16:07 »
I was forwarded this email pertaining to an issue with Eels on the Dee.

I think it would be good information for all the guys fishing to watch out for and please if you find any evidence contact the email address provided

"Dr Lorraine Hawkins, Manager of the River Dee Trust has received a lot of reports of dead and dying eels on the Dee over the last six weeks and she is wondering if any other rivers were seeing a similar problem. The problem seems to be widespread throughout the Dee catchment, with dead eels being removed from a lot of fishing beats. The dead/dying eels typically have white lesions over their body. The Dee Trust has managed to capture four live ones so far which are currently being analysed by the Fish Health Inspectorate but in the meantime she would like to hear from any other rivers if they are seeing a similar problem.  E-mail to: Lorraine@riverdee.org"

hopefully no-one has anything from other rivers, not something i've seen yet on the Don, Ythan or Deveron, finger crossed.

Cheers

Sandy

Rob Brownfield

Re: potential problem with Eels?
« Reply #1 on: 28/05/2015 at 07:26 »
How strange.
This might be migrating eels leaving some of the lochs and heading back to sea. Could the problem be the lochs rather than the river? Could explain why nothing is being noted on other rivers?

The eel is in massive decline already, hope it is not yet another blow for them.

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com