Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Rob Brownfield

Banned from fishing
« on: 21/05/2015 at 13:08 »
Yip, I am on a 4 week, doctors orders, ban!

Been suffering sore hands and left elbow so a trip to the doctors has resulted in a diagnosis of a stress injury through too much fishing! Tendonitis of the fingers and elbow.

Will it stop me? Nahhhh...will just leave the big stuff alone and go back to 3 and 4 weights :)

Mike Barrio

Re: Banned from fishing
« Reply #1 on: 21/05/2015 at 16:10 »
 :z4  :z4  :z4

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #2 on: 22/05/2015 at 07:21 »
Ok, the ban did not last! I compromised and used a 5 weight for streamers :)

Interestingly, spending 5 hours single hand snake rolling has actually made my hand feel less stiff. The 10 or so Trout helped :)

Hamish Young

« Reply #3 on: 22/05/2015 at 08:03 »
There is a slightly annoying air of smugness in that post Rob which I am finding hard to miss  :z7

Mark Zhang

« Reply #4 on: 22/05/2015 at 12:20 »

Interestingly, spending 5 hours single hand snake rolling has actually made my hand feel less stiff. The 10 or so Trout helped :)

Need to tell GP that. Less medicine, but more fishing.  :z18

Iain Cameron

« Reply #5 on: 24/05/2015 at 08:21 »
Been suffering sore hands and left elbow so a trip to the doctors has resulted in a diagnosis of a stress injury through too much fishing! Tendonitis of the fingers and elbow.

sounds painful Rob. I could lend my tenkara rod....
speaking of rods... how's the renovation going on mine? I'm gonna have to start paying you rent

Mike Barrio

« Reply #6 on: 24/05/2015 at 10:50 »
speaking of rods... how's the renovation going on mine? I'm gonna have to start paying you rent

:z4  :z4  :z4

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #7 on: 25/05/2015 at 07:40 »
sounds painful Rob. I could lend my tenkara rod....
If you remember, it was finished the end of last season and we were meant to be exchanging on the Isla over the winter. :)

Its sitting in the garden holding up the runner beans spare room waiting for you.

Iain Cameron

« Reply #8 on: 25/05/2015 at 07:59 »
Its sitting in the garden holding up the runner beans spare room waiting for you.

Excellent - i love runner beans! I'll give you a shout and come out and collect sometime

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #9 on: 25/05/2015 at 08:20 »
More than welcome to come out or the "exchange" could be done on the river bank.

Eddie Sinclair

« Reply #10 on: 01/06/2015 at 19:46 »
Rob,

I got something similar casting blind all day in Angola with a ten weight a few years ago and before Ben discusses my over enthusiastic casting technique it took me 2 years to get over it but did it stop me casting (badly and too fast) no way.

Eddie. :z18

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #11 on: 02/06/2015 at 07:49 »
Rob,

I got something similar casting blind all day in Angola with a ten weight a few years ago and before Ben discusses my over enthusiastic casting technique it took me 2 years to get over it but did it stop me casting (badly and too fast) no way.

It would seem the "slight" rest has helped.  Hands a bit better, but still some pain. Still focusing on the 4 weight and that has helped a lot. I think it was the Switch rod that did it. Fishing off the right bank I am snake rolling a large, heavy fly and I think I am twisting my top hand for some reason, and gripping a bit too hard. Went out with the same gear but a small double and the casting was much more "relaxed".

Steven Sinclair

« Reply #12 on: 02/06/2015 at 08:08 »
Rob,

Christ if he thinks your casting is fast id hate to see what his reaction to mine would be!

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com