Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Michael

Introduction
« on: 15/04/2015 at 21:43 »
Hello,

I've just joined the board. I'm posting this message from Sydney, but will shortly relocate to work and live in Glasgow. I'm a keen fly angler, particularly on rivers, I practise catch and release, and I tie my own flies. Most of my fishing experience is in Tasmania and South Island, New Zealand - both wonderful places to fish, so please ask me if you plan a trip to either island and want some advice.

I've been reading the forum here for a while as I've noted the Don and the Deveron as two rivers I'd really like to fish - I realise this will require a long drive from Glasgow, but I hope to spend some weekends in the area later this season.

The generosity, content and tone of contributors to this forum impresses me and I thank everyone for the information already shared.

I hope to meet you on a river, Michael

Mike Barrio

Re: Introduction
« Reply #1 on: 15/04/2015 at 22:10 »
Hi Michael,
Welcome to the forum :z16

Thanks for the introduction!
I was in Sydney early last year for a day or so on my way to NZ ..... sure is a nice city nowadays :cool:

Best wishes
Mike

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #2 on: 15/04/2015 at 22:11 »
Welcome to the forum Michael :z16

Some good rivers down by Glasgow too, the upper clyde is a great water as is the Annan further south, so you won't be stuck for decent trout fishing :z18 You'll get grayling too down there, which we don't have up north :cry

Cheers

Sandy

Michael

« Reply #3 on: 15/04/2015 at 22:29 »
Agreed Mike, Sydney is a lovely city, but a long drive to a decent trout stream....

Thanks Sandy, those waters and their grayling are on my list. It's exciting to be moving to a country with so many rivers to discover.

Michael

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #4 on: 16/04/2015 at 07:19 »
Morning Michael. If you are moving to Scotland, does that mean there is a space in Oz to fill? If so, can I have it? :)

I loved my time out there, Noosa, Sydney, Newcastle etc. Had a strange passion for Flatheads on ultra light spinning gear :)

Don't forget there is some good salt water fly fishing on the West Coast for Pollock and the like :) Bring extra jumpers!

Michael

« Reply #5 on: 16/04/2015 at 13:27 »
Hello Rob,

Yes, Flatties on light spin gear make for exciting fishing. Although I release any trout I catch, I keep the occasional pan-sized flathead as they are wonderful on the plate.

I enjoy saltwater fly - what weight rod do you recommend for pollack?

Wooly jumpers are packed.

Michael

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #6 on: 16/04/2015 at 15:13 »
I enjoy saltwater fly - what weight rod do you recommend for pollack?

I use a 9 weight as I want lifting power to keep them from diving into the rocks. I tend to fish deep drop offs where the Pollack and Wrasse hide in the kelp.

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com