Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Ben Dixon

Re: Casting heavy heads
« Reply #15 on: 14/04/2015 at 18:57 »
Rob,

One other thing to think about is controlling drop and maintaining tension.  If you open the arc without increasing tip height on the drift it will lead to fly coming through low on FC.  If you then also cant rod off to the side a little as any sensible person does if they are afraid of being clattered by the fly then you will almost certainly get hit.  If you are hitting the rod it could either be tracking or a major tail.  The drift thing is far easier to demonstrate than to put down on paper.

Those lines are not a patch on the OB in any way other than durability.

Cheers

Ben

Hamish Young

« Reply #16 on: 14/04/2015 at 21:10 »
I don't think you could ask for better advice Rob, it's nailed in those replies. Offer for a session stands, I might know a loch or two worthy of the effort  :z16
I'd like to see you using both lines, I've not tried a sniper but as Will has pointed out it's shorter than OB short.... and that's short.

H :cool:

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #17 on: 15/04/2015 at 07:53 »
Morning All!

What can I say, thank you for the help!

Progress update...I went home last night after watching Marc's video he posted and things have drastically improved. I think I got into the habit of watching the water when dry fly fishing and not worrying what my back cast was doing so grabbing the heavy set up meant that the back cast was having much more "influence" on the forward cast as it was starting out wrong.

Actually taking time to watch the back cast I could see I was throwing off to the side a little. A bit of thought and concentration and things came together and distance improved without extra effort. Presumably because the rod is now unloading in a straight line?

To answer some of the other questions....

It is the standard Outbounds, not the Shorts.

Leader wise I use a 7ft salmon poly leader, 2 feet of 25lb mono and a trace...however, looking at the Scandi anglers, they are using 5 feet of 30lb mono, so I will try that. I doubt 12-14" flies will "turn over" with a leader, more like "continue to fly past the tip".

I do tend to slip a few extra feet on the last back cast...habit. Works well with the Outbounds, works not to bad with the Sniper.

I do tend to use a late haul on the heavier gear. Again, habit I think.

I played around with release timing (hard to change habits!) and I am no longer getting a collapse at the end of the cast :) Instead I am getting the loop open but lay down straight, so a little more work required.

I have found the ridged Sniper does not shoot as well as the Outbound and the running line is twice as thick so there is a bit of drag already. I did not try letting the running line shoot through my fingers, but I will try that tonight. It is certainly something I do with my Sea Trout 7 weight shooting heads with a mono running line, so worth trying.

Ben,
the reason I went for the Snipers is because there were lots of people raving about them on the PFFA site. (Outbounds also get a thumbs up). I was lead to believe the Sniper could handle the bigger flies, and they certainly do compared to the Cortland "Pike Line" I was using for a floater, but, they are not a pleasant line to use at all. My Di7 is a standard 40+ and that's a nicer line to shoot as the running line is far thinner and it just flies. The Snipers seem to load the rod but "hang back" on the shoot...as if you are casting into the wind. It is hard to explain.

The other reason for the Snipers was cost to tell the truth. I got a floater and a Di3 for £55. I could not get a single outbound for that....although my Intermediate Outbound is still my most used line :)

Ben Dixon

« Reply #18 on: 15/04/2015 at 18:07 »
I've got a sniper Di3 #8 that I have used for Sea trout in the sea.  Think the RL is too heavy for the length of the head, it does hold it back and causes it to turn over quite quick unless it is very carefully managed, the upside is that it will assist with turnover of nastier flies.  Make sure you are not stopping the haul for delivery and then thinking about letting go of the line.  Make the final haul late and fast, open your fingers and continue the hand through.  Late release with lines of that type doesn't work so well, hauling through RSP 1 is definitely bad.

Cheers

Ben

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #19 on: 16/04/2015 at 07:33 »
I was out last night with a rather sweet Sage XP #3 that Sandy is very familiar with. Using a Joan Wulff TT #4 it was like casting silk onto cotton wool compared to the Sniper!

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #20 on: 16/04/2015 at 10:43 »
So, another problem solved....the reason I am not casting an entire Sniper is because it is 120' long!! The Outbound is 100' and castable to the backing.

This would explain why I still have 15-20 feet of line on the spool!!! Feeling happier now!

My god I really should RTFM!!!  :X1 :X1

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com