Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Rob Brownfield

Photographing your fish
« on: 09/04/2015 at 10:54 »
Right, I have seen some great photos of big Brownies this last few weeks whilst all my photos turn out pants!

What's the secret of good "self takes"?

I normally end up trying to get the camera out of my pocket one handed, whilst trying to keep the fish in the water and safe. I then try and focus, hold the fish, stop myself falling over in the river, and numerous other things! results are mediocre at best.

Any advice on what cameras to use, any tips and so on??

Mark Zhang

Re: Photographing your fish
« Reply #1 on: 09/04/2015 at 11:37 »
I have the exactly same issue. I think the best solution is to find a fishing partner who can take photo for you.

Tight lines,

Mark

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #2 on: 09/04/2015 at 11:51 »
Trouble with fishing partners is that they are the ones that catch! ;)

« Reply #3 on: 09/04/2015 at 12:03 »
Aye carry a small panasonic lumix much easier than flaffin aroon we a smart phone i think.

Liam Stephen

« Reply #4 on: 09/04/2015 at 12:23 »
Rob  :z16

I just use my iPhone and get lucky with some of the shots. It's a bit risky though as it has almost ended up in the water twice already this season.  :X2

Sandy's the guy to ask he takes the best pics.

Liam

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #5 on: 09/04/2015 at 12:45 »
I use a small Fujifilm thing that's is actually a good wee camera, but large compared to modern ones. My "proper" camera is a DSLR which I would not wave about over water :)

I am considering one of the waterproof Nikon pocket things that also float if dropped and allow underwater photos.

My biggest trouble is not having a third arm to hold the camera. I am not keen on laying a fish on the bank, but if I have to, I try to pick grass over mud and always have a wet net under the fish. trying to hold a fish and take a photo has me baffled!!

iFlies

« Reply #6 on: 09/04/2015 at 15:19 »
Hi Rob,

For professional selfie - set up your camera in a good spot if you know your going to be a particular run for a while. Take a few test shots and mess about until you have the right angle , exposure etc. Buy yourself a remote for camera , relatively cheap on Amazon. Catch the fish , walk over to the camera and click your remote!

Tight lines!

Mike Barrio

« Reply #7 on: 09/04/2015 at 15:33 »
Hi Mel,

Welcome to the forum :z16

Best wishes
Mike

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #8 on: 09/04/2015 at 16:50 »
Nothing special about the way i take the pictures.

I have a Cannon D10 that lives in my waistcoat, its in the easiest pocket for me to get it out of quickly IE the big one on the left. :z7
I unhook the fish and keep it in the net get the camera out, turn it on then take as many pictures as i can till it swims away.

Sometimes i get none , or you have to look carefully :wink

i have lots of splashy fish leaving the hand images, this tends to be what happens.

Sometimes it goes right. :z16

I find not zooming in and getting the fish with the sun on the correct side, helps with the quality.
Having the waterproof camera helps when it falls in (which happens quite often, usually when you are trying to photo the biggest fish :X1) Being blue and silver means i find it easy enough too. Plus you can do underwater stuff which is fun :cool:

Otherwise its a about playing with angles till you get something you like and a bit of guesswork as to the angle to hold it at as i almost always have the screen facing away from me

Sandy

Euan Innes

« Reply #9 on: 09/04/2015 at 16:58 »
Rob,
I have just bought an Olympus TG3 camera for the same reasons that you won't use your DSLR.
Water proof to 20m, drop proof from 2m and just a nice camera all round. Very wide lens which is not good for landscapes but ideal for fish.
Bonus point - the video on is a button and not a menu select so stills or video, underwater video, are both just a button away.
Down side - £300 to you guv'nah. I got a paracord strap off ebay from, I think, Cordweaver and it is the biz. Camera in bag/vest/ pocket, slip hand through loop, loop tightens, no drop.

:z1

Iain Cameron

« Reply #10 on: 10/04/2015 at 06:58 »
for me, a small Canon ixus that, like Sandy, lives in an accessible waistcoat pocket. It's on a looped cord, so I can let it go and leave it hanging. I just take lots of pics, and end up throwing away 10 for every 1 kept. Also end up with lots of 'where did it go' splashy pics. It's replacement value is about £30, so no great fear of dropping it or drowning it.

A pal uses a GorillaPod - a mini tripod that lets him set his camera up facing him. (http://joby.com/gorillapod). Sticks camera on timer, and adds a cheesy grin. job done!

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #11 on: 10/04/2015 at 07:34 »
Hi Rob,

For professional selfie - set up your camera in a good spot if you know your going to be a particular run for a while. Take a few test shots and mess about until you have the right angle , exposure etc. Buy yourself a remote for camera , relatively cheap on Amazon. Catch the fish , walk over to the camera and click your remote!

Tight lines!

Morning Mel,
When I am static carp or Pike fishing I have my DSLR set up on a tripod and its got the facility to flip the screen around so I can see how well I am framed in the photo before using the remote...but with trout fishing I am always moving or concentrating so a camera set up on the bank will either get left behind or nicked when I am not looking :)

In the "old" days I used to take a medium format Hasselblad and use garden canes to mark out a "frame" to sit in with any fish I caught. I had a bulb release under my foot so whilst holding a carp I could rock forward onto the bulb and "wooosh"..a picture. Trouble was, the camera was so large I needed to make a trip from the car just for it. Produced some awesome photos though!!

Mike Barrio

« Reply #12 on: 10/04/2015 at 10:51 »
I've been using my GoPro, which I got for videos. Luckily they also take photos ( as I've not done much with the video :oops ) they are reasonably small and have a waterproof casing ..... I just tie it to my jacket with a length of old fly line :z4

I find photos in the net in shallow water work for me, or a slight lift above the water 'Sandy style'. I don't think I've ever tried to get myself in the frame too.

Cheers
Mike

harvey84

« Reply #13 on: 10/04/2015 at 11:04 »
Hp and Polaroid do waterproof cameras for around £50 that have front and rear screens

Will Shaw

« Reply #14 on: 10/04/2015 at 17:35 »
For Selfies:

I have a Lumix G3, and in the past used a Canon Powershot pro 1. Both of these are semi-compact and importantly have flip out screens.

You don't need a tripod if you carry a small bean-bag around with you.

1. Keep fish in water in the net.
2. Place camera on bean bag and (with screen flipped) frame the shot.
3. When you're ready hit the shutter (on 10sec delay).
4. When camera starts to beep/flash fast, gently lift fish for it's portrait.
5. Unhook and return fish.

For non-selfies

1. Keep fish in water in the net.
2. Fine nice shallow spot (ideally say 3 or 4" deep) where fish can stay wet but you get a good view of it.
3. Photograph fish flat on net (still in the water!)
4. Unhook and return fish.

Just a personal thing here, but I do dislike all these one-handed selfies with the fish being gripped between thumb and fingers. Just cradle the fish in your fingers! If it jumps, tough. (or if you're desperate you could delay unhooking until the photos done - allowing a bit of re-wrangling if it does slip from your grip.) Again - just a personal thing. No offence  :X2

W.

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com