Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

harvey84

Hi, I'm new to the forum and relitivly new to inverurie. I was hoping to introduce myself and maybe get some fishing advice for the river urie.

I'm also new to fly fishing, I've done lots of sea fishing and  coarse fishing in the past so not completely green but fancied trying my hand at fly fishing with my eldest lad now we're out here. I've been doing some swatting up on fly fishing and thinking of getting a few casting lessons up at lochter for the two of us, hoping we can make good use of lochter as a practice ground.

But what really intrests me is fishing the urie, its very close to my house so would be great just to nip out for an hour or two through the season. The only thing is I've never seen a soul fishing in nearly two years and wondered why? Is it mainly because it's very overgrown with high banks or is it because there isn't a good head of trout? Any local advise would be much appreciated.

Also is it possible to wade in the urie, especially up around the osprey village development? My house is close to one of the named pools on the fishing map for inverurie, I think its 19  , the horse shoe. I figured this would be a good place to start...the reason I asked about wading was because of all the vegitation in the summer would make it difficult to cast. But I've found a couple of spots were the bank allows easy route down to the river.

Any advice on good spots, techniques, flies to use or maybe more importantly any dangerous spots to  avoid that anyone is willing to share would be very welcome.

Hope to maybe see you around this season

Tight lines

Rick

Mike Barrio

Re: Introduction & hopefully advice on the River Urie
« Reply #1 on: 25/03/2015 at 23:40 »
Hi Rick,
Welcome to the forum :z16

Can't offer you any advice on that area of the Ury I'm afraid, it's always looked like hard work to me from a distance. You'd need an Inverurie Burgh Fishings permit to fish it obviously and I would probably just spend my time on the Don. But, you say it is very close to your house ..... so I imagine it would certainly be worth exploring in that case :cool:

Best wishes
Mike

harvey84

« Reply #2 on: 26/03/2015 at 07:22 »
Hi Mike,
thanks for you reply. I've got Permits for me and my lad lined up for the 1st.

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #3 on: 26/03/2015 at 08:47 »
Hi Rick

I used to fish the top end of the Ury a lot many moos ago and it always had a good head of trout, not sure how the housing development may have affected it. But the stretch up from meldrum bridge has a lot of really nice pools and riffles, you can go as far up as the rothie bridge with an Inverurie permit, but i have a feeling it is just on the RH bank (i may be wrong as it is a while since i fished it.)
The fly life is much the same as the Don although i remember some fantastic summer evening sport with Sherry and orange spinners.

The ury is not a great river to wade, it has a lot of soft bottoms that you will sink into, i wouldn't wade it all as you never know where you may get stuck. This encourages you to learn a few casting tricks to deal with the vegatation later in the year, but even early on in April and May there will be olive hatches during the day that you can nip out for 2-3 hours around lunchtime and catch. There will be fish rising, yu will just have to find them.

I learned most of my watercraft on the Ury and trust me if you can do it there you will be able to do it on the main river even better, so its a great place to learn  :z16

have fun :z18

Sandy

harvey84

« Reply #4 on: 08/04/2015 at 18:29 »
hi sandy, sorry for the very late reply, i was called away with work and just getting caught up on things now.

thanks for the info, and warning about the wading. i'll keep that in mind and be careful while on the bank. might just stick to lochter while with my lad until i learn the Ury myself. its a pity they haven't finished off the foot bridge yet as that would get me on the right bank in a couple of minutes. might have to make some enquires about that.

i've still to get my flies (found the article  on here about Don trout flies) will make sure i get a few sherry and orange spinners too.

speaking of watercraft, casting tricks etc. can anyone recommend any good books, articles or videos? i'm sure like other types of fishing it mainly comes with trial and error but would be good to have some research to get me started. i bought "getting started at fly fishing for trout" by Allan Sefton which is good as a general guide and "match the hatch" pocket guide by Peter Lapsley but neither go into watercraft, fishing 2 flies rigs (dropper?) and that sort of thing.

thanks again for the info and the advice and maybe see you around

rick

Iain Cameron

« Reply #5 on: 08/04/2015 at 18:39 »
hi Rick

been a long time since I fished the Urie, but remember some nice wee stretches.

I really liked the Orvis Guide to Prospecting for Trout - lots of interesting reading about water types and how to read water, and chapters each on nymphing, streamers, wets and dries. It's US based, so the info about specific rivers/flies isn't so interesting, but it's a great read.

See http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Orvis-Guide-Prospecting-Trout/dp/1599211475

Or just go fishing and learn as you go!
cheers
iain

harvey84

Re: Introduction & hopefully advice on the River Ury
« Reply #6 on: 08/04/2015 at 19:00 »
cheers lain, will have a look. think i will need all the help i can get :)

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #7 on: 08/04/2015 at 21:24 »
Rick

This a great book, a little advanced in places for starting out, but deals with rivercraft from an interesting point of view.
I learned quite a lot of good stuff from it.

http://www.anglebooks.com/fly-fishing-outside-the-box-emerging-heresies.html

another really good book that helped me was this one

http://www.anglebooks.com/what-trout-want-the-educated-trout-and-other-myths.html

It gets a bit repetitive at times, but what it repeats is good information so you don't mind, its a great way to simplify things so is a great starting point

I'm sure we all have our own favourite books, but those two have been two of the best i've read recently :z16

Sandy

harvey84

« Reply #8 on: 08/04/2015 at 22:10 »
cheers sandy

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com