Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Rob Brownfield

Big tubes
« on: 23/03/2015 at 08:03 »
Out on Sunday playing with 10-12" tube flies on a 9 weight and a Di 7 line. Such fun :)

The one in the photo is a "Jack Pike" imitation and in the water looks amazing!!

I have tied up some trout sized sculpins and streamers on tubes as well, which gives me the bulk I want whilst allowing a 1cm gaped hook to stay within the rules :) They can be cast on a 7 weight with no problems at all :)

Hamish Young

Re: Big tubes
« Reply #1 on: 23/03/2015 at 08:30 »
Send me up a couple Rob  :wink

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #2 on: 23/03/2015 at 08:45 »
Send me up a couple Rob  :wink

Are you man enough to fish them? ;)

Just ordered some more materials so what would you like??

Hamish Young

« Reply #3 on: 23/03/2015 at 08:59 »
Are you man enough to fish them? ;)

Oooohhhh I think so  :wink

Just ordered some more materials so what would you like??

I'd be interested in seeing 1 Rob - see if some of my madder creations here are in the same vein :cool:

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #4 on: 23/03/2015 at 10:14 »
Not a problem...just waiting on some Curly Big Fly Fibre and new heads arriving :)

Ben Dixon

« Reply #5 on: 23/03/2015 at 12:13 »

I'd be interested in seeing 1 Rob - see if some of my madder creations here are in the same vein :cool:

My money would be on your "prototypes" being "more madder", Hamish  :z7

Need to get my rubber ring fixed then I think we should go attack a certain loch somewhere up North.....

Cheers

Ben

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #6 on: 23/03/2015 at 14:10 »
Currently trying to source some large foam popper heads for another experiment, but do you think I can find in the UK????...so frustrating!!

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #7 on: 24/03/2015 at 07:29 »
Here you go Hamish, a Roach, an Eel and a Jack Pike....

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #8 on: 24/03/2015 at 07:35 »
I had thought of using my lathe to turn some foam heads, but as I was banned from the kitchen after turning cork handles in there, I though it best not to upset the other half.

Good video though, I think I have a dremmel in the shed.

Note: Do not have a lathe in your kitchen...it upsets the cook in the family, especially if you wait until she is in the USA and she then wonders why there is cork dust all over her pots and pans :)

Ben Dixon

« Reply #9 on: 24/03/2015 at 08:38 »
Nice looking flies those, Rob.  Out of interest, what are you using to keep the eyes on and how long do they generally stay put?

Cheers

Ben

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #10 on: 24/03/2015 at 09:16 »
The eyes are held on with 5 minute epoxy and I have yet to have one come off. I love the Fish Masks as you don't have to muck about with epoxy, driers and the like, plus they are so light these flies are almost neutral buoyancy.

Adding an eye into the recess with a little epoxy/araldite is a 2 second job. Being slightly recessed, the eyes are protected from being pulled off it you hit a rock or weed.

Going to get some smaller ones to add to some experimental salmon tubes ;)

Ben Dixon

« Reply #11 on: 24/03/2015 at 09:30 »
Hi Rob,

Understand.  I didn't look close enough first time around to see that they were a head rather than individual eyes. Where did you get them?

Cheers

Ben

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #12 on: 24/03/2015 at 09:48 »
Orvis...lol...they are one of the few stockists in the UK ;)

Although I order mine from Funky Flytying. About £6 a pack, 10 to a pack in the smaller sizes, 8 in the bigger. They are sized by eye size, so the ones in the picture are size 10 (10mm eye). There is info on their website matching head size to hook size.

There is another version which is soft rather than hard, you can get them from this chap... http://www.bluedotmediashop.dk/group.asp?group=322

Ben Dixon

« Reply #13 on: 24/03/2015 at 09:57 »
Cheers, not in Orville that often these days and there is less tying gear in there than there once was.

Will get a look, maybe order some up for later in the season.

Ben

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #14 on: 24/03/2015 at 10:02 »
Cheers, not in Orville that often these days and there is less tying gear in there than there once was.

Only seen them on the Orvis website...Same lot that do the articulated shanks etc.

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com